Remove molar and grow wisdom tooth or clean root of molar?

Hi! I recently visited my dentist who had done an x-ray and realised I will need root canal cleaning! Once she opened the tooth and told me the pulp is damaged and needs root canal cleaning I freaked out!
Luckily, a few weeks before that my wisdom tooth on the same side started growing! Wisdom tooth is slightly tilted, but my dentist said if it grows it should be ok, and may form a small gap between the two teeth. Basically my question:

Should I remove the molar that needs root canal cleaning and allow for a healthy tooth to grow in it's place, or remove the wisdom tooth and get the root of the molar cleaned?

I am terrified of extraction as much as I am scared of root canal cleaning! My main concern is if I remove the molar and the wisdom tooth doesn't grow for ages, which will cause my teeth to shift (I had braces) and mess up all that hard work! Or worse, the top molar will have no support and will start to go all wobbly!

Please help with advice, any similar work you have done on patients and what you would recommend as a professional!

Thank you!

Ask a Question