Remove bridge and replace with crowns/implant?

Hello,
I would really appreciate some guidance on a very tough decision. About 7 years ago, my well-respected dentist recommended that I replace four front lower teeth, that were slightly crooked, with a bridge. Well, this was the worst mistake I ever made and, in my opinion, downright negligent. He destroyed 4 perfectly good teeth for a quick fix and a nice profit. I am currently in the process of finishing a dental implant on a front upper tooth....this 1 tooth is costing me $7000+.....so that makes my bridge error even more disturbing. I hate the bridge. It feels like a foreign object in my mouth and it looks too perfect/fake. I found a "best of" prosthodontist (in another, larger city) to do the crown for my current implant. I want to give myself the best chance at a positive result, after my previous huge mistake. The question now is, do I replace the 4 bottom teeth that were destroyed, in order to rid myself of this bridge. I'm 57 years old. I take excellent care of myself and don't want to think of living with this bridge, for the rest of my life. The cost, however, is $10,000+. I have researched some of the downsides of even having a bridge....jaw bone loss, etc. But, I am also concerned about making another very costly mistake. Will the crowns hold up? Will one be likely to fall off at the most inopportune time? Will the result look as I want it to and will the replaced teeth feel 100% natural vs this bridge? If anyone has advice, experience or thoughts on this type of replacement, I would greatly value your feedback. Thanks so much!

Hello,
I would really appreciate some guidance on a very tough decision. About 7 years ago, my well-respected dentist recommended that I replace four front lower teeth, that were slightly crooked, with a bridge. Well, this was the worst mistake I ever made and, in my opinion, downright negligent. He destroyed 4 perfectly good teeth for a quick fix and a nice profit. I am currently in the process of finishing a dental implant on a front upper tooth....this 1 tooth is costing me $7000+.....so that makes my bridge error even more disturbing. I hate the bridge. It feels like a foreign object in my mouth and it looks too perfect/fake. I found a "best of" prosthodontist (in another, larger city) to do the crown for my current implant. I want to give myself the best chance at a positive result, after my previous huge mistake. The question now is, do I replace the 4 bottom teeth that were destroyed, in order to rid myself of this bridge. I'm 57 years old. I take excellent care of myself and don't want to think of living with this bridge, for the rest of my life. The cost, however, is $10,000+. I have researched some of the downsides of even having a bridge....jaw bone loss, etc. But, I am also concerned about making another very costly mistake. Will the crowns hold up? Will one be likely to fall off at the most inopportune time? Will the result look as I want it to and will the replaced teeth feel 100% natural vs this bridge? If anyone has advice, experience or thoughts on this type of replacement, I would greatly value your feedback. Thanks so much!

Vote:
I hear your pain both health-wise and financially. I have crowns on nearly every tooth as well as a bridge for one side and an implant bridge (love it) for another side. I am having problems with tooth #7. If you can afford it, implants are the way to go since you are only in your 50's. Bridges can look great but they depend on the "neighbor teeth" for support. My mom just had one done for 4 missing front teeth. It looks great but I wonder what will happen if/when those canines fail. As you know, the nerve in them sometimes dies when they are prepped for a bridge. The problem with implants is the number of appointments needed to finally get them.
If the aesthetics effects your daily living, you need to change it or accept it. I am a little vain and would change it. Best wishes!

Vote:
Thanks kelly123. Appreciate the feedback and well-wishes. Yes, an implant is quite an undertaking. Certainly not a quick fix. This is my 2nd. Lots to consider, regarding the front 4 lower teeth!

Vote:
@Mamakin I assume you're after a quick fix? But I think considering implants even if it may take time is the best option. As you said you just wasted money and it's because you're after for quick result, So i'm suggesting that since you will be spending money then go for a durable and long lasting result where dental implants can provide. But to give you an insight of the time you need to spend for the procedure. The implant site is allowed to heal before the new artificial tooth is attached. This procedure may take from three to six months to heal. After that time period, your dentist will complete the procedure by placing a crown restoration. The healing process will depend on many factors such as your jawbone structure, age, and general oral health. But still the decision is yours, and having it done abroad just consider Mexico or Costa Rica you may find the cost of implants there more convincing. Good luck!

Vote:

Ask a Question