Regenerative Dentistry

June 16,2014
This may be a little off the general path. I have been reading science journals and internet postings about the subject of Regenerative Dentistry or as some refer to as Tooth Regeneration. We know that researchers and dental scientists are working on and trying to eventually regrow whole new teeth. They are using different techniques. One of the most common is stem cell development. There are now materials, in the lab, that when applied to teeth can possibly reverse tooth decay. There are also other processes that can stimulate the growth of tooth materials dental pulp, cementum, and dentin. Scientist are also working on regenerating tooth enamel the hardest part of the tooth that does not grow.

My question, Is there any new research that can be found leading to the natural biological repair and replacement of existing dental cavities and their artificial fillings? Are we any closer to growing (regenerating) parts for teeth and replacing artificial tooth filings with natural biological grown fillings made from real dentin and enamel? Some say that this technology may be possible within 5 to 10 years and will most likely be developed before whole teeth can be regenerated from scratch. What is your opinion and reasoning on this subject?

Several dentists seem to avoid answering this questions because they either simply do not know or do not want to make predictions. I would like to know if there is a way of to receive more information in this area if possible. I have tooth fillings and would like, or hoping, to one day have them eventually replaced with natural grown tooth material.

Ask a Question