Redness on hard palate

aqz

Solutions
Hi i have had this red area non painfull for a week or so it has got better i have had a stomach bug for the last few days which i am bed bound with dont know if this has something to do with it. I keep getting red areas in hard palate which come and go.but never completly go away. My dentist is not refering me my gps just says its smokers palate. What do i do? I am so anxious that its oral cancer and am obsessed with checking my mouth numerous times in a day its driving me insane. Please help.

Thanks

I would like to add i am mouth breather and have dry mouth especially in mornings due to deviated septum could this be irritating my palate? Should i be concerned. And i do also suffer from geographical tongue at times of high stress and anxiety.

Attachments

• 20180516_215435.jpg
    20180516_215435.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,674
Solutions
Hi aqz, as I mentioned before you should stop smoking and see if that helps. If your dentist is not concerned and it doesn't hurt then don't worry about it. As far as I know cancerous lesions are more likely to be white, black or a growth (a noticeable lump). Your dentist knows what to look for. If you are really worried pay to have a biopsy just to put your mind at rest.

But I will just repeat that you should definitely give up smoking because that's really bad for both your oral health and your overall health.

Vote:

aqz

Solutions
@Busybee hi thanks for ur message, i know i should give up the smoking i am trying so hard. My question is why is redness not going away and some days its more red then others. That must be something sinister? I posted on dental twins but they have only peaked my anxiety even more raising all sorts of questions. My just at my wits end and want to feel normal again.

Vote:
Solutions
If you breathe through the mouth then you might not be getting enough saliva to the area. This isn't great for your oral health. Combined with smoking it's not a healthy mix.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Doesn't appear sinister, but looks more like smoking-related irritation due to the hot gases as you inhale; as you dentist suggests. Most cancers of the mouth are on the floor of the mouth (under the tongue), or side of the tongue where the carcinogens sit in the saliva.

Vote:

aqz

Solutions
@MattKW thanks for your response, its been on and off for months now hence why i am concerned. Could my mouth becouse of deviated septum be causing it too?

Vote:

aqz

Solutions
@MattKW ok thanks. I am always rubbing area with tongue now becouse of being anxious. I dont know if that is making it worse. It doesnt hurt what should i do now?

Vote:
Solutions
Have you tried to seek help in giving up the smoking habit? I know how addictive it is and I gave up many years ago after trying many times. But giving up makes so much difference to your oral health. I used to get mouth ulcers every now and then and none since giving up. It's really not worth risking your health. Do try to get some help. I used patches, it wasn't easy but you have to want to do it. This lesion is nothing compared to what you are doing to your lungs etc. Please go to your doctor and ask for support.

Vote:

aqz

Solutions
@Busybee i knoww i am trying too, it doesnt help when my anxiety is through the roof at same time. Its the only thing that seems to keep me calm at the time. But i know i have to give up this horrible habit before its too late... thank you so much for your kind and supportive words means alot. Sometimes your nearest and dearest cant understand what your going through. But a stranger can so ironic. Thank you once again.x

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
erythroplakia is that what it is? @MattKW
Erythroplakia is a red area, usually fiery-looking, and is a serious concern for possible cancer, definitely need a biopsy. Again, most likely in floor of mouth, tongue back of mouth. Yours does not look erythroplastic.

Vote:

Ask a Question