RARE Extra/ supernumerary teeth and wisdom teeth

I've attached a picture.
I have a total of 5 extra teeth that need to be removed surgically. The dentist told me that such cases are extremely rare and this needs to be dealt with immediately, it could cause serious issues otherwise.

Should I have them all removed at once? Could it damage any nerve or cause any serious problems? How long will recovery take?

And what's the procedure?

20171029_210332.jpg

Last edited:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I see 3 molars on top right and 3 molars on lower right. Supernumerary molar would be the 4th furthest back. The top back tooth #1 and the lower 2 most posteriors #31 & 32 are in ectopic (altered path) eruption. I don't see any extra (supernumerary) teeth.

There are risks involved. Tooth #1 has a slight risk of trauma/damage to the sinus and surroundings. #31 & 32 has more of a risk for major nerve damage. A more accurate image called a dental cone beam/CT scan can illustrate 3D positioning of the nerve and other vital structures. Other dentists may disagree but a realistic option is to not do any or all ectopic molar extractions. Another option to minimize trauma/damage is to do a coronectomy (intentionally leave roots). Tooth #4 (top right 4th back) is grossly decayed and needs extraction.

Vote:
I see 3 molars on top right and 3 molars on lower right. Supernumerary molar would be the 4th furthest back. The top back tooth #1 and the lower 2 most posteriors #31 & 32 are in ectopic (altered path) eruption. I don't see any extra (supernumerary) teeth.

There are risks involved. Tooth #1 has a slight risk of trauma/damage to the sinus and surroundings. #31 & 32 has more of a risk for major nerve damage. A more accurate image called a dental cone beam/CT scan can illustrate 3D positioning of the nerve and other vital structures. Other dentists may disagree but a realistic option is to not do any or all ectopic molar extractions. Another option to minimize trauma/damage is to do a coronectomy (intentionally leave roots). Tooth #4 (top right 4th back) is grossly decayed and needs extraction.

Thank you so much for the response.

So the best option would be not to do anything at all?

I suffer with a lot of pain and toothache because of this. Strong painkillers only help for so long. Is there any specific painkiller I could take that'd help?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
First, we need to identify the pain. Possible source is tooth #4 with gross decay and it needs extraction. Strong painkillers can become addictive. In the US, we have a narcotic abuse epidemic. Best options are to consult with your trusted dentist and come up with a solid plan. Yes, possible options may be to leave the back molars alone or maybe take out 1 or 2, or coronectomy on the highest risk lower molar.

Vote:
First, we need to identify the pain. Possible source is tooth #4 with gross decay and it needs extraction. Strong painkillers can become addictive. In the US, we have a narcotic abuse epidemic. Best options are to consult with your trusted dentist and come up with a solid plan. Yes, possible options may be to leave the back molars alone or maybe take out 1 or 2, or coronectomy on the highest risk lower molar.

Thank you so much for the advice.

Vote:

Ask a Question