Radiopacity in the left mandible

Discussion in 'Oral Surgery' started by Drmario240, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Drmario240

Drmario240

Patient presents to office one year after third molar extractions. Patient presented for oral hygiene visit and bite wing x-rays. The bitewing X-rays reveal a radiopacity in area of 17. Looks fully integrated. How do you address situation.
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 8.25.56 PM.png

Drmario240, Nov 1, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Drmario240

honestdoc Verified Dentist

I may take a periapical image. If I'm sure it is fully integrated to bone (not in soft tissue) I would monitor it for any pathology. On this image, I'm not noticing any bone pathology so monitoring it would be the least traumatic. If I absolutely need to remove it, I may take a 3D CT image to gauge the proximity.

I would inform the patient of this object in the bone and discuss treatment options such as monitoring it or removing it with the 3D CT imaging aid.

honestdoc, Nov 1, 2018
    MattKW likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Drmario240

MattKW Verified Dentist

Yep, just locate it and monitor. From the radio-opacity and size, it's not metallic. I wonder if it was a DO composite from the 2nd molar that came free during the extraction? maybe we'll never know...

MattKW, Nov 1, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question