Radiopacity in the left mandible

Patient presents to office one year after third molar extractions. Patient presented for oral hygiene visit and bite wing x-rays. The bitewing X-rays reveal a radiopacity in area of 17. Looks fully integrated. How do you address situation.
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 8.25.56 PM.png

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I may take a periapical image. If I'm sure it is fully integrated to bone (not in soft tissue) I would monitor it for any pathology. On this image, I'm not noticing any bone pathology so monitoring it would be the least traumatic. If I absolutely need to remove it, I may take a 3D CT image to gauge the proximity.

I would inform the patient of this object in the bone and discuss treatment options such as monitoring it or removing it with the 3D CT imaging aid.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yep, just locate it and monitor. From the radio-opacity and size, it's not metallic. I wonder if it was a DO composite from the 2nd molar that came free during the extraction? maybe we'll never know...

Vote:
It appears to be a broken extraction equipment, like an elevator tip, my guess is a broken root tip elevator. The OS should've discussed this with the patient. So long as it's not infected, it should qualify as a watch. Unlikely it ever will become infected since it's metallic object.

Vote:

Ask a Question