Radiolucency?

I developed a periodontal abscess right above the tooth 14 gumline about two weeks ago. This happened within a few days of using a waterpik for the first time ever. I have a bridge on tooth 14. I visited a general dentist who took a panoramic X-ray (attached) and told me that the root was not involved and referred me to a periodontist. I also took a course of antibiotics for two weeks.

Yesterday I visited the periodontist who took a periapical X-ray of the tooth (attached). He told me that he should perform gum surgery to remove the infection but also referred me to an endodontist to make sure root was not involved before proceeding with gum surgery.
In the panoramic X-ray took two weeks ago there were no artifacts seen on the root but in this new periapical X-ray, it's not clear to me if there is a radiolucency at the tip or the root is affected in any way. I would really appreciate the forum's opinion on any root involvement observable here.

Thanks much in advance.

Attachments

• Panoramic.JPG
    Panoramic.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Periapical.JPG
    Periapical.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 9

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
There does not seem to be a radiolucent area around the root tip. The endodontist might take a CBCT, which is a 3D scan, in order to confirm this, since not everything is visible on a 2D x-ray.

Vote:

Ask a Question