Question that may seem strange.....

Like many I have a major phobia of dentists that started when I was very young. To try to avoid braces they pulled a few teeth. According to my mother, a few without novican as I was afraid of the shot. Well I ended up with braces anyways.

But I had my 4 wisdom teeth out as a teen. LOL my parents failed to remember to plan this early in our summer holiday so I ended up flying for 3 days long haul international within a week of having them out. We lived as expats in SE Asia.

Fast forward, many years.... Okay wisdom teeth out in the mid-late 80's. I can't remember if it was 2000 or 2003 but when I was pregnant with one of my last two kids my very back molar needed attention. I had morning sickness 24/7 so the very idea of going through a root canal made me gag at the thought. I dont think it could have been done safely so I opted to pull it instead. Life went on....

Now this past weekend I had terrible pain on my lower right side. Out of my mind type pain when a root is exposed kind of pain.

Because of pancreatic cancer and surgery and my body had gone through extreme trauma recovering. (Highly recommend mayo clinic, Rochester mn). That has left my dealing with chronic pain, fibromyalgia. I have dealt with this two other times. I thought I needed to call the dentist Monday morning. Why does this always happen on a weekend. But come Monday it was like it never happened. So because I went from severe surgical pain to chronic pain only one pain medication worked for me so I have been on it about 5 years. No I don't abuse, take less if I can (half dose) and then go up to full dose as needed. Sometimes I can do that, other times not. But I have read where others with fibro have this phantom dental pain that has no cause behind it.

So that is what got me through the severe pain. But then it also clicked in, that where it was hurting was that very back molar that was pulled.

But get this, now its either 14 or 11 years later and I feel something there. I can feel a sharp point at the top and behind it looks like something dark and oval. But its flush with the gums. It woke me up in the wee hours of the morning this morning. And using pretty much just Tylenol and orajel I felt something new. From the side of my gums, the side facing my cheek is now another sharp pointy thing.

I have read where fragments left behind can surface months later. Sometimes years or never. But this has been 11 to 14 years. Just hurts and really strange since I had my wisdom teeth out years ago and that back molar pulled such a long time ago.

It still hurts, but not as bad as it did this weekend.

I really hate to go into the dentist if its not needed.

Any thoughts about what these sharp pointy things may be that are coming out the top and side of my gums. Where the tooth was extracted?

Ask a Question