Question for those that own/manage a dental practice. (I am a student, doing a research project)

I am doing a project for a business class at San Jose State University, and I have come up with a few questions that I would love to get some answers to. I am sure that I will have a few more in the next few weeks as well, but these are my first.
I know some of these answer maybe private, so feel free to email me: (e-mail address removed)

I appreciate any help that you all can give on this.

Question 1. Why do dental practices accept some insurances and not others. I understand that they are contracted with them, but what incentives does a practice have, to not accept all insurances?

Question 2. How would you feel about the idea of a dental insurance company, purchasing your practice, and managing it?

Question 3. If an insurance company that you accept, purchased a local practice, would that influence your decision to maintain a relationship with them? In what way?

I am doing a project for a business class at San Jose State University, and I have come up with a few questions that I would love to get some answers to. I am sure that I will have a few more in the next few weeks as well, but these are my first.
I know some of these answer maybe private, so feel free to email me: (e-mail address removed)

I appreciate any help that you all can give on this.

Question 1. Why do dental practices accept some insurances and not others. I understand that they are contracted with them, but what incentives does a practice have, to not accept all insurances?

Question 2. How would you feel about the idea of a dental insurance company, purchasing your practice, and managing it?

Question 3. If an insurance company that you accept, purchased a local practice, would that influence your decision to maintain a relationship with them? In what way?

Hi James,

1 Some insurances have low reimbursement or restrictions certain practices may not find acceptable. This is a very simple answer to a complex subject.

2 It's not legal in most states for non dentists to own dental practices but if it were never for me

Vote:
Hi James,

1 Some insurances have low reimbursement or restrictions certain practices may not find acceptable. This is a very simple answer to a complex subject.

2 It's not legal in most states for non dentists to own dental practices but if it were never for me

Winet, Thank you for your response, very appreciated.

Can I ask why you wouldn't consider selling your practice to an insurance company? I know there are drawbacks and incentives to it, and just want to know how you weigh each of these.

Also, Anyone else that can reflect on my posting, I would greatly appreciate it.

Vote:
Winet, Thank you for your response, very appreciated.

Can I ask why you wouldn't consider selling your practice to an insurance company? I know there are drawbacks and incentives to it, and just want to know how you weigh each of these.

Also, Anyone else that can reflect on my posting, I would greatly appreciate it.

I guess if I was leaving I would sell my practice to anyone who was interested in buying it including an insurance company provided it is allowed in the state I practiced in. I would never want to work for them or any other corporate dental firm.

Vote:
Winet,

Thank you again for your response.

I have a few additional questions, if you find yourself with some extra time.

1. Have you ever worked for a corporate managed detal firm before? If so, did you see any benefits to it?
  2. What are your concerns if this model were to be implemented? Do you think there is anything to benefit from this model?
  3. Does it matter what insurance company would like to integrate with your practice? What are the deciding factors when making that decision?
  4. Would you say that the benefit to starting your own dental practice, outweighs the costs associated with it? I mean this in comparison to just purchasing another dental practice.
  5. If an insurance company that you accept, purchased a local practice, would that influence your decision to maintain a relationship with them? In what way

Vote:
Winet,

Thank you again for your response.

I have a few additional questions, if you find yourself with some extra time.

1. Have you ever worked for a corporate managed detal firm before? If so, did you see any benefits to it?
  2. What are your concerns if this model were to be implemented? Do you think there is anything to benefit from this model?
  3. Does it matter what insurance company would like to integrate with your practice? What are the deciding factors when making that decision?
  4. Would you say that the benefit to starting your own dental practice, outweighs the costs associated with it? I mean this in comparison to just purchasing another dental practice.
  5. If an insurance company that you accept, purchased a local practice, would that influence your decision to maintain a relationship with them? In what way
1 No and no
2 I would become an employee instead of an owner no
3 Again was never interested in working for someone else. Others may feel differently
4 Usually better to purchase an established practice but many in some situations starting from scratch is possible
5 More than likely I would quit accepting their patients but would depend on the circumstances

Vote:

Ask a Question