Question about potential pocket

Hi all,

Does this look like a periodontal pocket caused by disease or is it just part of my unattached cheek flesh?

I have no pain/ bleeding/ swelling, I just noticed it while prodding with my tongue and started to worry

I have a check up in a few weeks, and there is still a wisdom tooth to come through back there.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20230430_142142.jpg
    IMG_20230430_142142.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 13

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
More of a pseudo-pocket due to the lack of attached gingiva (AG) and the unerupted wisdom tooth. It doesn't require periodontal treatment, but they can be a pain to clean because of the lack of AG. It will probably help to extract the wisdom tooth.

Attachments

• Marginal-free-gingiva-attached-gingiva-and-alveolar-mucosa.jpeg
    Marginal-free-gingiva-attached-gingiva-and-alveolar-mucosa.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 8

Vote:
More of a pseudo-pocket due to the lack of attached gingiva (AG) and the unerupted wisdom tooth. It doesn't require periodontal treatment, but they can be a pain to clean because of the lack of AG. It will probably help to extract the wisdom tooth.
That sounds very likely, as I can feel the wisdom tooth crown quite clearly below the surface. Will just take extra care to keep the area clean until I can have it looked at, thank you!

Vote:

Ask a Question