Question about oral leukoplakia

I noticed a thick white patch on my left inner cheek about 6 weeks ago and had it looked at by an oral surgeon. He diagnosed it as leukoplakia and told me that I should get a biopsy done.

At first the patch was very thick then it went away and all that was left was a white bump and then a few weeks later the thick patches reappeared and the tissue surrounding the white patch was dark red. Once again the thick patch has vanished along with the dark red patch surrounding it.

I still have what appears to be white patches in my mouth but the bump that he wanted to do a biopsy on is gone. Should I get a biopsy done in the area where the bump first formed? Will I have to get a biopsy done on each individual white patch in my mouth?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
He'll do the biopsy on an active white patch. Leukoplakia usually doesn't come and go -are you doing anything that might be causing it, like chewing your cheeks?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Have you started any new medications, toothpastes, herbal supplements, and or mouth rinses? Without looking at any images, I'm guessing it may be an autoimmune response to chemicals and or stress.

Vote:

Ask a Question