Question about Gingivitis

Last spring I had a nasty case of gingivitis...my gums bled off and on (they would stop for a week or two and then start again) for about 2-3 months.I increased brushing (and did a better job), starting flossing regularly, using mouth wash more often, replaced my tooth brush, etc.
Most of the bleeding occurred around areas where my retainers touched my teeth/gums. My orthodontist guessed that maybe hormones were playing a role in it. My gums did stop bleeding once I got the new toothbrush and my hormones got back in check (happened around the same time).... Unfortunately I don't have dental coverage and was not able to see a dentist about my problem

My gums have been healthier since then...in the last year or so only one or two teeth have had a little blood along the gumline during brushing (only once or twice over the last year; extra brushing and mouthwash take care of it so it's not bleeding by the next morning). Otherwise, I have kept up my routine and have had no problems...

I noticed I've had some gum recession which was from the infection I think (I can't be sure since I did use some hydrogen peroxide and didn't dilute it well enough once). One one or two of the teeth the area is a little bit whiter. Two other teeth have little notches along the gum line, but only on one side of the tooth. I'm not sure if the one notched tooth has been there awhile or not...I just noticed it tonight, but it's possible I may have missed it.

I guess I'm asking that if my gums are pink and my teeth do not hurt or bleed when brushing or flossing, my infection is cleared right?
Just asking for a little peace of mind :eek:
Thanks to all who answer

Last edited:
I have been fighting gingivitis since I was 12. I just never liked to brush my teeth as a kid and thought that Listerine was a cure all for teeth. Last winter my mother paid for me to see a dentist for the first time in years. It took some serious cleaning sessions, but oddly enough, I haven't been this proud to smile in a long time. The real bonus has been that all my gum recessions have tightened back up and my gums are no longer bleeding.

Last edited:

Vote:
I'm like more than a year late with answering this but... better late than never! :)

I noticed I've had some gum recession which was from the infection I think (I can't be sure since I did use some hydrogen peroxide and didn't dilute it well enough once). One one or two of the teeth the area is a little bit whiter. Two other teeth have little notches along the gum line, but only on one side of the tooth. I'm not sure if the one notched tooth has been there awhile or not...I just noticed it tonight, but it's possible I may have missed it.
If you have notches on your teeth near the gumline it may be due to toothbrush abrasion. That means you have been brushing too hard. Make sure you are using a soft bristle tooth brush and are using the Modified Bass Technique when brushing. If you are not sure what it is then you should look it up. :)

I guess I'm asking that if my gums are pink and my teeth do not hurt or bleed when brushing or flossing, my infection is cleared right?
Yes, It means your gums are back to health. Pink gums and no blood while brushing and flossing is a good sign of health! :)

Vote:
Brushing too hard

I think there maybe electric toothbrushes out now with a sensor that will switch off when there is to much pressure applied.

That would be awesome. I've never heard of that. I have the problem of brushing my teeth too hard. I got a Sonicare toothbrush for Christmas and I try to not brush so hard but just move the brush along as it does the brushing for me. Hopefully this will reduce the receeding gums which I've already had two grafts (well two surgeries of three grafts each) on.

Vote:

Ask a Question