Question about bridges/dentures for my Mom

My Mom is almost 90 years old. het mouth is in pretty bad shape; she has a partial denture now that I think her old dentist (now retired) made because he didn't expect her to live so long. She's doing OK in general, but we'd like to fix her mouth up so she can eat comfortably.
The new dentist is very highly qualified and in NYC -so I expect costs to be high, but I'm wondering if this is (yikes!) "reasonable" or...?

Apparently, she needs:
(5) extractions @$445 = $2,225 (The dentist is suggesting an oral surgeon because she has been hospitalized for bleeding gums and is on blood thinners -I think I'm totally cool with this part costing this much).

However, this freaks us out: it looks like (4) bridges:
(11) Retainer crn-porc fused -hi nob @ $2,250 = $24,750
(9) Pontic-porcelain fused to hnob @ $2,250 = $20,250

Plus some other misc. stuff so the total is $50,000+

I'm not trying to rag on the dentist here. If these things really cost this much, so be it; I know nothing and that's why I'm asking...

Thanks so much for your help...

:)
Greg

Thank you for your reply! :)
I did that and found a fantastic dentist/prothodontist in NYC: Dr. Olga Malkin. She would have charged about 60% of what the other dentist would. However, despite working extensively in reconstructive dentistry, Dr. Malkin suggested cleaning up my Mom's existing problems instead of creating custom bridges. She was great about checking with my Mom's GP to be sure there would be no safety concerns with Mom's Coumadin and other meds. She took her time talking to my Mom and let her set the pace for getting the work done.
My Mom feels so much better now, she can eat a LOT more foods and is much happier!

Vote:

Ask a Question