Prolia

Hi, I am on Prolia for osteoporosis, I have been advised that I need root canal on a molar, is it safer to have root canal work or extraction??

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately there are dental side effects with your medication. Are you taking it in pill form (oral) or by injection? There are more risks with injections that can cause jaw bone damage and bone necrosis after extraction. Usually the physician will want your dentist to clear you before you start therapy.

Vote:
Unfortunately there are dental side effects with your medication. Are you taking it in pill form (oral) or by injection? There are more risks with injections that can cause jaw bone damage and bone necrosis after extraction. Usually the physician will want your dentist to clear you before you start therapy.
Thank you. I have injections. That puts me in a bit of a pickle!! Not sure what to do now.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Having root canal would be more ideal, even leaving the root in the bone and removing the damaged crown if the tooth is nonrestorable.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
RCT safer. If an extraction is your choice, it is best timed just before your next Prolia injection, and maybe delay next injection for another month afterwards. Talk to dentist/GP.

Vote:
RCT safer. If an extraction is your choice, it is best timed just before your next Prolia injection, and maybe delay next injection for another month afterwards. Talk to dentist/GP.
Thank you, have appointments set for tomorrow with both GP and dentist - looks like it’s a root canal, can’t believe just had Prolia injection 10 days ago !

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Don't worry too much. Osteonecrosis is a risk, not a certainty; this is a sheet used in my state of New South Wales for the Dept of Health staff. About 1/2 way through is a risk assessment table which is useful. Prolia is not included in this (dated 2011)

Vote:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeanaOmt81

Latest Threads