Problem bridge

I have an 8 year old bridge on the lower right jaw, back 3 teeth, back tooth has a root canal. It's felt tender for a few months, but xrays show no problem. For last 2 weeks, my floss suddenly slips halfway under the front tooth/post, and also under the side of that tooth (cheek side) and up about 1/8" there. Things aren't smelling too good, and even after 5 minutes of flossing, rinsing, and more flossing, it still produces a bad taste. My dentist checked it with a new xray and his pick tool, says it seems fine to him. Any suggestions? I hate to doubt him, but this is unpleasant.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Tell your dentist about the discomfort as well as the foul smell & taste. Have your dentist perio probe to find any gum attachment loss. X-rays are only 2 dimensional and may not pick up all details. I'm suspecting a possible root fracture on the back molar.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Lower bridges supported by a 2nd molar are troublesome due to curvature and forces applied. I would never do one where the 2nd molar is RCTd because quite often the 2nd molar will fracture and/or the crown will come loose. Nowadays, an implant is a much better choice for lost lower 1st molars.
I'd cut through that bridge at the back of the premolar, remove the crown and pontic from 2nd molar, and pray. You might still be able to save 2nd molar but do not replace with a new bridge. Keep it as a single crown.

Vote:
Lower bridges supported by a 2nd molar are troublesome due to curvature and forces applied. I would never do one where the 2nd molar is RCTd because quite often the 2nd molar will fracture and/or the crown will come loose. Nowadays, an implant is a much better choice for lost lower 1st molars.
I'd cut through that bridge at the back of the premolar, remove the crown and pontic from 2nd molar, and pray. You might still be able to save 2nd molar but do not replace with a new bridge. Keep it as a single crown.

Thank you - I plan to take these suggestions to my dentist for discussion before making any decisions.

Vote:

Ask a Question