"Preventive" crowns turned into blindsiding, expensive nightmare...

I started with a new dentist this year. After my first check up I was given a list of recommendations. I was a little troubled, because my former dentist (who had gone out of network) was really thorough and I had plenty of major dental work over the years, but never anything that felt fishy or unnecessary. The biggest recommendation related to three of my back molars, placed next to each other, all had old silver fillings in them. The recommendation was to crown those teeth "preventatively." I questioned doing all three at once because budget was a big issue for me and this was going to max out my insurance in only February and cost me about $2200 out of pocket on top. I had NO pain, sensitivity or issues whatsoever with these teeth. When asked if I had any concerns at my check up, the answer was no, I was good. The dentist told me that doing all three at once was recommended so the crowns would match. That felt off to me... I have other crowns and they match.... but I figured to avoid future problems I should just do it and be done with it as recommended. NO mention was made of any possibility of this prompting new serious issues. I asked several questions and made my budget concern VERY clear to the dentist. I asked about surprises too. They prepped the teeth, then put one large temporary crown on all three teeth. As soon as the numbing wore off, I was in pain. It kept getting worse and worse. I was on a LOT of otc pain meds. I call the dentist and go in. She did a "bite adjustment" and said if it still hurt in a few days to call an endodontist to "see what was going on in there". Sure enough the pain persisted and was excruciating. I go to the endodontist who over the course of 2 months root canaled all three molars through the temporary crown. He didn't want to do them all at once because pain can refer (and them all being under one crown didn't help) and he was hoping they would not all need a root canal. So he started with the one that was obviously the worst and we went from there. All this is going on and I am also in chronic discomfort because the temporary crown had a long edge that was sharp like a razor blade. It tore up my gum and tongue. Unfortunately, I could not go get the awful temporary off and get the permanent crowns installed until the pain was resolved. I spent more than 2 months in chronic pain. Finally, the day comes for my three permanent crowns to be installed. I had already paid in full for the entire crown treatments for these three teeth, plus extra charges for xrays when I returned in terrible pain. The crown install appointment happens. Most of the appointment was bite adjustment after the crowns were on. She did not do much to me other than clean up the teeth after the temporary came off. Nothing about any needed additional services or issues was stated. I leave, thinking my nightmare is finally over, but resentful that I went from no pain, to months of pain and out over $7000+ when I really could barely afford the original budget. Now, two weeks later, a bill arrives in the mail from this dentist for $1,350 for three "core build up" @ $450 per. I am, again, BLINDSIDED. They knew my insurance was maxed out when I was there, they sent me on my way without asking for money, the date of core build up services was the crown install date. Doesn't a crown build up happen before the crown (i.e., before that temporary crown was put on in February)? The endodontist had filled the holes, I remember him discussing it with me. Also, the root canals were MAJOR procedures and cost about $1400 each, so how is a treatment that, if done, took less than five minutes worth $450??? Is it okay for a dentist to do work without disclosing they are doing it or the charge that will be forthcoming? This dentist came recommended and I am just dumfounded. Everything about this has been troubling. I have already found a new dentist to move to, but I really am feeling duped and ripped off at this point. Any insights as to whether this sounds kosher would be appreciated? I really don't think it was okay for them to say nothing to me and bill me, but, that won't change my having to pay. I also am angry at myself for being duped into doing all three. If I'd just waited for those teeth to fail, it would have cost me the same and I'd have had to endure a few days of pain instead of months of it.

I started with a new dentist this year. After my first check up I was given a list of recommendations. I was a little troubled, because my former dentist (who had gone out of network) was really thorough and I had plenty of major dental work over the years, but never anything that felt fishy or unnecessary. The biggest recommendation related to three of my back molars, placed next to each other, all had old silver fillings in them. The recommendation was to crown those teeth "preventatively." I questioned doing all three at once because budget was a big issue for me and this was going to max out my insurance in only February and cost me about $2200 out of pocket on top. I had NO pain, sensitivity or issues whatsoever with these teeth. When asked if I had any concerns at my check up, the answer was no, I was good. The dentist told me that doing all three at once was recommended so the crowns would match. That felt off to me... I have other crowns and they match.... but I figured to avoid future problems I should just do it and be done with it as recommended. NO mention was made of any possibility of this prompting new serious issues. I asked several questions and made my budget concern VERY clear to the dentist. I asked about surprises too. They prepped the teeth, then put one large temporary crown on all three teeth. As soon as the numbing wore off, I was in pain. It kept getting worse and worse. I was on a LOT of otc pain meds. I call the dentist and go in. She did a "bite adjustment" and said if it still hurt in a few days to call an endodontist to "see what was going on in there". Sure enough the pain persisted and was excruciating. I go to the endodontist who over the course of 2 months root canaled all three molars through the temporary crown. He didn't want to do them all at once because pain can refer (and them all being under one crown didn't help) and he was hoping they would not all need a root canal. So he started with the one that was obviously the worst and we went from there. All this is going on and I am also in chronic discomfort because the temporary crown had a long edge that was sharp like a razor blade. It tore up my gum and tongue. Unfortunately, I could not go get the awful temporary off and get the permanent crowns installed until the pain was resolved. I spent more than 2 months in chronic pain. Finally, the day comes for my three permanent crowns to be installed. I had already paid in full for the entire crown treatments for these three teeth, plus extra charges for xrays when I returned in terrible pain. The crown install appointment happens. Most of the appointment was bite adjustment after the crowns were on. She did not do much to me other than clean up the teeth after the temporary came off. Nothing about any needed additional services or issues was stated. I leave, thinking my nightmare is finally over, but resentful that I went from no pain, to months of pain and out over $7000+ when I really could barely afford the original budget. Now, two weeks later, a bill arrives in the mail from this dentist for $1,350 for three "core build up" @ $450 per. I am, again, BLINDSIDED. They knew my insurance was maxed out when I was there, they sent me on my way without asking for money, the date of core build up services was the crown install date. Doesn't a crown build up happen before the crown (i.e., before that temporary crown was put on in February)? The endodontist had filled the holes, I remember him discussing it with me. Also, the root canals were MAJOR procedures and cost about $1400 each, so how is a treatment that, if done, took less than five minutes worth $450??? Is it okay for a dentist to do work without disclosing they are doing it or the charge that will be forthcoming? This dentist came recommended and I am just dumfounded. Everything about this has been troubling. I have already found a new dentist to move to, but I really am feeling duped and ripped off at this point. Any insights as to whether this sounds kosher would be appreciated? I really don't think it was okay for them to say nothing to me and bill me, but, that won't change my having to pay. I also am angry at myself for being duped into doing all three. If I'd just waited for those teeth to fail, it would have cost me the same and I'd have had to endure a few days of pain instead of months of it.
Your whole ordeal screams “money grubbing dentist!” This is going on so much these days there should be investigations. I too was talked into some dental work, but get this, I was lied to about what she was actually going to do Verses what we discussed. One, I repeat ONE tiny spot was to be filled with a thin milky substance to coat the area from sensitivity but turned into 4 unnecessary spots and her using thick composite! Why I have zero idea! I had no cavities or anything. Then she shaved away at part of my old perfect filling which I don’t know why she touched because it was white and done perfectly fine, and then some of my natural tooth structure! So basically the entire inside of one of my large back molars is totally changed in structure. How on earth are they going to know exactly what to put back or take off if I don’t cis a Picasso dentist!? I keep thinking get it fixed back with bonding but my heart is saying, no one will ever get that right freehandedly and just suck it up that the tooth is lost to a crown or onlay.
This mess not only is about to turn into a money pit just like your situation, but I’ve been in pain for going on 3 months when I also had zero. I was comfy and happy, now miserable and depressed daily since. I’m not the same mentally or physically because I can’t eat, don’t want to eat and losing weight Then I have jaw pain, numbing in feet, neck pain, ear pain, skull pain, blurred vision and more. I think my incident gave me TMJD. When a bite is too high, too low, misshaped teeth and more causes this because your bite isn’t right. So Be glad you didn’t get this at least because my goodness it’s terrible.
Again, I agree you were ripped off and talked into those crowns all for the money, and the endo is probably his buddy. I often think my ordeal was for the same reason, to get money for the big jobs! But she was fired. so she won’t be getting a dime. You reminded me of myself when you sat there thinking the recommendation was odd, I did too but we trusted them instead of our intuition which usually never steers us wrong, so here we are. I’m so mad and blame myself and wish I could go back in time smh. So how do you feel lately? Did the crowns at least work out to be comfortable and not mess up your bite, speech, eating etc?

Vote:
Your whole ordeal screams “money grubbing dentist!” This is going on so much these days there should be investigations. I too was talked into some dental work, but get this, I was lied to about what she was actually going to do Verses what we discussed. One, I repeat ONE tiny spot was to be filled with a thin milky substance to coat the area from sensitivity but turned into 4 unnecessary spots and her using thick composite! Why I have zero idea! I had no cavities or anything. Then she shaved away at part of my old perfect filling which I don’t know why she touched because it was white and done perfectly fine, and then some of my natural tooth structure! So basically the entire inside of one of my large back molars is totally changed in structure. How on earth are they going to know exactly what to put back or take off if I don’t cis a Picasso dentist!? I keep thinking get it fixed back with bonding but my heart is saying, no one will ever get that right freehandedly and just suck it up that the tooth is lost to a crown or onlay.
This mess not only is about to turn into a money pit just like your situation, but I’ve been in pain for going on 3 months when I also had zero. I was comfy and happy, now miserable and depressed daily since. I’m not the same mentally or physically because I can’t eat, don’t want to eat and losing weight Then I have jaw pain, numbing in feet, neck pain, ear pain, skull pain, blurred vision and more. I think my incident gave me TMJD. When a bite is too high, too low, misshaped teeth and more causes this because your bite isn’t right. So Be glad you didn’t get this at least because my goodness it’s terrible.
Again, I agree you were ripped off and talked into those crowns all for the money, and the endo is probably his buddy. I often think my ordeal was for the same reason, to get money for the big jobs! But she was fired. so she won’t be getting a dime. You reminded me of myself when you sat there thinking the recommendation was odd, I did too but we trusted them instead of our intuition which usually never steers us wrong, so here we are. I’m so mad and blame myself and wish I could go back in time smh. So how do you feel lately? Did the crowns at least work out to be comfortable and not mess up your bite, speech, eating etc?

I'm sorry for your ordeal! I am, thankfully, doing much better. The new crowns are good and I've since been to a new dentist who is sooooo much better and didn't try and sell me more treatments. I think the money grubber who got me was a competent dentist overall, just always in a hurry (had to cram in too many patients and make that $$$) and self absorbed. Relieved it is over and a painful, expensive life lesson in the books. I truly hope the TMJ eases up for you. I have that too, not caused by the ordeal though. I've had it for many years due to teeth grinding. I gave up gum and use a mouth guard at night and it is pretty well managed. Good luck with it!

Vote:
I'm sorry for your ordeal! I am, thankfully, doing much better. The new crowns are good and I've since been to a new dentist who is sooooo much better and didn't try and sell me more treatments. I think the money grubber who got me was a competent dentist overall, just always in a hurry (had to cram in too many patients and make that $$$) and self absorbed. Relieved it is over and a painful, expensive life lesson in the books. I truly hope the TMJ eases up for you. I have that too, not caused by the ordeal though. I've had it for many years due to teeth grinding. I gave up gum and use a mouth guard at night and it is pretty well managed. Good luck with it!
Hi, thanks so much for responding. I’m trying to get ideas on what I can maybe do to help myself. So please explain to me, you got crowns put on, it caused pain and discomfort, you go back, dentist adjust them and they weren’t right so that’s why you got another dentist? Did you get new crowns with the new dentist or the old ones were worked with?

Vote:
Hi, thanks so much for responding. I’m trying to get ideas on what I can maybe do to help myself. So please explain to me, you got crowns put on, it caused pain and discomfort, you go back, dentist adjust them and they weren’t right so that’s why you got another dentist? Did you get new crowns with the new dentist or the old ones were worked with?
also, I know you say you already had tmjd but did you have new or flared up TMJD symptoms from those crowns? Did you have bite issues that settled Once new crowns were done? Why you say you’re better, what was wrong at first? I ask because some dentist said get braces and all these things but I truly feel like why can’t I just get the tooth fixed back properly and then the symptoms will subside, I could be wrong but that’s my thought and you didn’t mention you had to get braces or new splint therapy and you’re better, so I’m feeling hopeful

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question