Post tooth extraction

Please can I have some advise. I had a lower molar extracted on friday morning (5 days ago) and my pain is no better. I have had a very bad taste and smell in my mouth since the end of saturday. It is gradually getting less but still there. The site looks deeper than it originally did and i can feel the sharp bone with my tongue.
My debtist' chair has broken so they were unable to see me today...unlikely to be able to until Thursday. Do you think it is dry socket or just normal? The pain eases with meds as long as i alternate between paracetemol and ibuprifen every couple of hours. Thanks

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The pain easing when taking OTC pain meds is a good sign. How you know it is urgent is intense pain and or swelling. Getting lower molar teeth extracted is very traumatic. The tooth has 2 main roots in the thick jaw bone. Most likely the dentist had to cut bone, soft tissue and or separate the tooth to access the tooth and root fragments. Unfortunately with a more traumatic extraction, it does take longer to heal. If you have a dry socket, most likely none of the remedies or medications would relieve it.

Your options are to continue to allow it to heal, seek another dentist for possible dry socket (I don't think you have it) or to wait for your dentist to be available for followup and continue to do the usual to relieve it. Make sure you eat before you take ibuprofen because it damages the stomach lining.

Vote:
seek out another dental healthcare provider!!! I ended up in the ER for allergic reaction to ibuprofen!!! seek out a proper heath care provided that WILL provide proper post op care there is a place for post op pain relief in rx form!!!! this is crazy that dentist refuse to provide a post op patient pain relief

Vote:

Ask a Question