Post op pain

hello,
i had to have my upper first molar extracted because it was fractured. it has now been 80 hours and the pain has gone away from the extraction site thankfully. However, my jaw is stiff and my lower second molar has started to tingle and feel sensitive which is causing me discomfort is this a part of the post-op healing or could something be wrong with the bottom tooth because that's the only tooth that is causing pain alongside my jaw that feels like a magnet? also, my dentist has gone on vacation for a few weeks so i cant contact him for advice.
Thanks.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Do you perhaps have any x-rays of your teeth? If there was a post op complication, you would most likely be in severe pain, with a bad taste or smell in your mouth. If this is not the case, it is normal surgical pain, and should subside over time

Vote:
No unfortunately I do not have any xrays but 3 weeks ago my mouth was xrayed and was told nothing was wrong with my bottom molar. Also, 3 weeks my upper molar was infected so it was root canaled which failed due to fracture that was not seen beforehand hence the extraction so my mouth has been through trauma the last 3 weeks.
This makes me think that my left side of my mouth is just tender from all the work done.
However, the pain is not keeping me awake at night like before and there is no throbbing to indicate infection and painkillers seem to subside the pain.
Thanks for your reply

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The pain at the bottom, might then just be normal referred pain from the top. Give it a few days still, and see if the pain gets better.

Vote:
day 6 update
my bottom teeth have stopped aching which is a good sign. However, my tooth next to the extraction site feels like there is so much pressure from that area in the next tooth, could this just be swelling from the gums from the extraction and will it settle down. besides, the extraction site is only mild pain which is easily controlled with pain meds. sorry for all the questions it is my first extraction and I'm freaking out a little and my dentist is on vacation.
Thanks.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

If the pain is decreasing, it is a sign that it is healing. Post op surgical pain can sometimes take 2 weeks to disappear. If the pain is still there after about 2 weeks, go back to your dentist to make sure that the remaining molars adjacent to the socket don't have any problems as well.

Vote:

Ask a Question