Post extraction pain

I had a molar removed 6 days ago and it was pretty difficult to get out due to the size and location, I also had problems with the anaesthetic and took a bit of a ‘funny turn’ in the chair. I’ve had other teeth out before but the pain following this is unreal, almost as bad as the original toothache . My gums are throbbing constantly and the tooth next to it is sore. I’m gargling with warm salt water and also using a mouthwash with hydrogen peroxide in which I think helps a little. Is it normal for the pain to be this bad?

A_s

Solutions
I had a molar removed 6 days ago and it was pretty difficult to get out due to the size and location, I also had problems with the anaesthetic and took a bit of a ‘funny turn’ in the chair. I’ve had other teeth out before but the pain following this is unreal, almost as bad as the original toothache . My gums are throbbing constantly and the tooth next to it is sore. I’m gargling with warm salt water and also using a mouthwash with hydrogen peroxide in which I think helps a little. Is it normal for the pain to be this bad?

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear this.

Do you have bad breath from the tooth as well? Sometimes a "dry socket" can happen after extraction, and the risk increases if you smoke (regardless whether you stopped smoking prior or after extraction), immune suppressed, drinking alcohol, etc. The best idea will be to go back to your dentist and check it out. In the meanwhile, after you eat, rinse with warm salt water (bathe in your mouth for 1 minute).

Hope it helps.

Vote:

Ask a Question