Possible bone loss

I am 47 and at the age of 19 had my 2 front top teeth damaged through trauma. These had to be removed as it was so bad. I have had only two sets of replacement teeth on posts since then the last set lasting me some 18 years. Great dentist inserted crowns called King Crowns and never had a problem.
Only now I have had an infection under one of the teeth which clears up after anti biotics but then comes back after a while. Coupled with bone loss and one of them being lose I took the decision to have them removed. I have had numerous inspections by different dentists and all agreed there was not enough bone left for implants. I did not want to bridge as i do not see the point of damaging surrounding teeth to support a bridge. Only option left was dentures (to my horror)
I opted for Valplast and am very very happy with the results you cannot distinguish them and in fact they look better than my crowns. But i am worried!
I have read so much about teeth shifting and further bone loss that I am now convinced that the surrounding teeth will fail and i will end up on a slow road to exractions. Is this correct? Is there something I can do to stop the shifting or bone loss around my missing teeth? They are all healthy so do not want to lose them.
Have I made the right decision in dentures although I think apart from the bridge i had no option. FYI Bone grafting has never been an option neither financially or morally. I have 4 children so would not spend that sort of money on myself.
Will the Valplast support the teeth either side so they do not move?
Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
More adults lose teeth due to bone loss than decay. The way to prevent bone loss is practicing good oral hygiene at home (brushing at least twice a day and flossing at least once a day) and having regular dental cleanings. When calculus or tartar builds up on teeth and is not removed it damages the surrounding bone.

Vote:

Ask a Question