Please read and advise. In pain!

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this post is a little long but i want to make sure i give all theinformation.

About a year ago i was working away in wales and had a real bad toothache.
I tried pain killers etc but it was unbearable so i ended up calling the NHSemergency dentist there.

After attending their clinic i was advised the tooth was beyond repair and hadto come out. aswell as the one next to it as it had somehow grown in a way asto destroy that tooth aswell.

So i agreed to have it taken out there and then for the small fee of around 25quid.

First i had xrays etc and then he put a numbing needle in and it wasn't thatbad. The typical little scratch you get.
Then came the second needle!! And Jesus Christ i have never felt anything sopainful in my life.
I have had these numbing needles before and its never felt or hurt that muchbefore.
It was so bad i naturally went to grab it in reflex and the dentist wasn'thappy about that lol.

Anyway the numbness started to set in after about 5-10 minutes and i was readyfor the extraction.
Which by the way he said would be pretty straight forward and a standardprocedure looking at the xray.

So he began.....

First he used what i would describe as dentist pliers. he grabbed to tooth andstarted going side to side..back and forth...the SNAP!!! The tooth snappedbasically in half.
His face changed and he said he will have to try something else.

He then got out what i'd describe as a thin metal spike, slightly bent on theend and proceeded to stab it into the gum area and attempting to lever thetooth out.
It felt like i was sat there for hours and hours it was hurting still and hewas really going at it. In reality i was sat there about 25 minutes with himdoing this.

Anyway eventually the tooth gave way and came out aswell as the one next to it.However there was a big lump of my Jaw bone on there too which wasn't expectedby me lol. And the hole was friggin huge!!
He said it was a bit of my jaw and did not seem worried or make a big deal so ijust thought it must be common

Anyway that was it ...it healed and seemed fine for a few months.

But now i am having serious pains in my jaw. Like i cant open my mouth to eatit feels like my jaw will snap if i open my mouth too wide.
It's not a tooth ache its like a face ache permanently for a couple weeks. thenit will go away for a few weeks but always comes back.

Its seriously hurting tonight so i have come on here to try get some advice.

Yes i know everyone will say go to the dentist but sadly they are not open atthis time.

Can anyone tell me if they have heard anything like this before?
Anything i can do tonight to try help ease the pain.
I have taken pain killers but theyre not helping much at all.

Is it normal for lumps of Jaw bone to come out along with teeth? (btw it was aback tooth i didnt mention this earlier)

Thanks for reading and i hope to get some replies pretty soon.

Regards
Jamie

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
I am not sure what the lump is, but I have seen cases where people develop jaw joint issues after difficult extractions (almost always involving lower teeth). Look up "TMD" in a search engine and see if your symptoms match. If so, warm compresses against your joint (near your ear) and jaw exercises help. There are other remedies but we are not even sure that is what is going on. You might need to take more pain killers as well. I would call your dentist about it when they are open again.

Vote:
Dr. Barniv, Sunnyvale, CA
http://straightupdoc.com/
Look up "TMD" in a search engine and see if your symptoms match.

What is "TMD" I've had bouts of "TMJ" of and on, are they basically the same? I know with TMJ I often had trouble closing my mouth, painful, not a fun thing to have happen.

I understand there may be a psychological component to TMJ

Robert

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
TMD is temporomandibular DISORDER (which is the condition like saying you have a 'bad back')
TMJ is temporomandibular JOINT (This is just the abbreviation for the actual joint - kind of like saying your 'knee joint' or your 'hip joint')

There is a psychological component, usually brought on by stress.

Vote:

Ask a Question