Please help! Cavities no matter what I do.

Within the last two years or so I have been getting a ton of cavities and I am looking for suggestions on what to do.

I take really good care of my teeth. I use a new electric toothbrush twice a day for over 2 minutes, I floss every single day and I drink a gallon of water a day. The only other thing I drink is an occasional beer and black coffee a few times a week. I also eat 3 square meal a day with a little of bit of sweets as an after dinner snack. The Hygienist told me I had some of the best looking teeth she had seen in a while and was shocked with all the small cavities I had. All the cavities are between the teeth and very light. Last appointment I had 6 and this appointment I had 8. My new dentist said he is going to put together a treatment plan consisting of some type of mouth rinse to help restore good bacteria in my mouth.

I am looking for more suggestions in the meantime.

Thank you!

A_s

Solutions
Hello,

When you say you have "a little bit of sweets as an after-dinner snack", what do you normally have? How frequently do you eat snacks at night or throughout the day? Do you eat any fruit, vitamin supplements? It will be good to know a detailed list of your dietary habits and dental history. Did you change anything in the last 2 years compared to previous years? Do you eat anything at night after you brush? Do you use fluoride toothpaste? Sometimes people use a bit of toothpaste with flossing, so they can get some fluoride between the teeth, too.

Vote:
Hello,

When you say you have "a little bit of sweets as an after-dinner snack", what do you normally have? How frequently do you eat snacks at night or throughout the day? Do you eat any fruit, vitamin supplements? It will be good to know a detailed list of your dietary habits and dental history. Did you change anything in the last 2 years compared to previous years? Do you eat anything at night after you brush? Do you use fluoride toothpaste? Sometimes people use a bit of toothpaste with flossing, so they can get some fluoride between the teeth, too.
It just depends on what is in the house. Maybe a few small pieces of candy or a small bowl of ice cream, ect. I do not ever eat anything after I brush at night. I use typical store tooth paste with fluoride.

For breakfast I typically have oatmeal or two eggs and black coffee
Lunch: some granola, yogurt, one piece of fruit (grapes, apple, banana) and then a meat or sandwich.

Dinner: Meat, veggie, starch

I take creatine and CBD oil regularly. No other vitamins.

Vote:

A_s

Solutions
It just depends on what is in the house. Maybe a few small pieces of candy or a small bowl of ice cream, ect. I do not ever eat anything after I brush at night. I use typical store tooth paste with fluoride.

For breakfast I typically have oatmeal or two eggs and black coffee
Lunch: some granola, yogurt, one piece of fruit (grapes, apple, banana) and then a meat or sandwich.

Dinner: Meat, veggie, starch

I take creatine and CBD oil regularly. No other vitamins.

You can try to have some water after you eat sweets, fruits, and yoghurt. And try to limit the frequency of eating these in a day if you can, because it takes at least 30 minutes for the pH in the mouth to rise again, when there is a drop in pH due to acidic foods including fruits. Also do not need to rinse too thoroughly after you brush your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste, so the fluoride can last in your mouth for a longer period of time. Also try with a bit of toothpaste with flossing, too. There are also other ways that can help and I am sure your dentist will come up with the plan for you.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Ask your dentist about prescription toothpaste that is 5000 ppm Fluoride. I find beverages containing sugar, acid, and cream to be very destructive such as Starbucks, Red Bull/Rockstar, Gatorade, sodas, juices, etc. If you can minimize/eliminate sources of teeth deterioration, keep up with home hygiene (floss and regular Fluoridated toothpaste), and daily use of 5000 toothpaste (leave on over night), you can expect good results.

Vote:

Ask a Question