Picture of my brothers tongue

Hi everyone,
Attached is a picture of my brothers tongue. Was wondering if I could get your opinion on it and if there's anything that needs to be done. He's a downsyndrome so it's difficult to get a better photo I'm afraid. He's not really complaining of anything per se but given he's a downs his communication isn't the best.

Regards

Attachments

• 20201020_170506.jpg
    20201020_170506.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 104

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
His tongue has benign migratory glossitis. I see white spots of hyperkeratinized tissue (calluses) due to biting tongue trauma. The calluses are abnormal tissue and could become precursors to further abnormal tissue growth (possible cancer risk). If you guys choose to remove them, he could continue to bite on his tongue with his crowded misaligned teeth. Keep watch on those white spots and consider removing them.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The whites on the side of the tongue appears normal migratory glossitis/geographic tongue. I can't see the abnormal white spots on the top of the tongue which indicates hyperkeratosis. Keep and eye on the calluses and consider removal especially if they are getting bigger or thicker.

Vote:

Ask a Question