PFM vs full contour Zirconia

Do most general dentists today tend to default to Zirconia or to PFM when they put in crowns over natural posterior teeth? Would the answer change if these crowns were going to sit on top of a custom abutment and implant?
We are a two dentist family. Mine leans toward Zirconia crowns (I think for both natural teeth and implants), and my spouse's seems to lean toward PFM. Sort of curious is this is just a personal preference by the dentist and the split is pretty even? Or is one of our dentists in a clear minority?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I find PFMs are not esthetic and the layered porcelain fractures or flakes off. I like full contour not layered zirconia. They can still fracture if prepped or milled incorrectly but they are fake diamond material designed for strength. Implant crowns should have foil relief occlusion so opposing wear should not be an issue.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I find PFMs are not esthetic and the layered porcelain fractures or flakes off. I like full contour not layered zirconia. They can still fracture if prepped or milled incorrectly but they are fake diamond material designed for strength. Implant crowns should have foil relief occlusion so opposing wear should not be an issue.

Vote:
Solution

Ask a Question