Permanent Bridge

I am missing 28, 29, 30. Teeth 27 and 31 are in good shape.

Question: 1. Can I have good results if the abutment teeth 27 and 31 are used to make a 5 unit bridge?

2. What would be the best way to bridge?

Thank you

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Do you have any x-rays? This would be a great help in order to give an honest opinion

Vote:
Hello

No xray at this time but I do have a disc CBCT scan. I do not know how to view the CBCT very well. I may be able to get xrays on 8/31/2020.

Originally there was a permanent bridge from 28 thru 31. I had a tooth ache at #28 so a root canal was done. Later I went in for a bridge replacement and it was discovered that #28 had decayed down to the gum and could not be built up. So, #28 is scheduled for extraction. I am told #31 is in good shape.

Implants at #28 and #30 and bridge would cost $10,000.00. Looking for other workable solutions.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 97
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 103

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I foresee a lot of potential problems and wasted money. I see severe teeth deterioration. What is causing all the deterioration? Do you have diabetes, heart condition(s), dry mouth from numerous medications, other severe health problems? Do you use recreational drugs like meth? If you don't manage and resolve the source(s) of deterioration, any dental work will fail including implants such as that root canal tooth #28.

I'm not a big fan of bridges especially long-span bridge like in your case. It places too much stress on the abutment teeth. Some dentist may drill multiple abutment teeth but that means more teeth to fail. You may consider treatment (temporary) partial denture and stabilize your teeth for further restorative options. If your teeth further deteriorates, you may have to consider full dentures. If you want implants, make sure you are healthy and don't smoke. Otherwise implants will fail.

Vote:
Hello

Thank you for your reply.

The cell phone photo of the CBCT scan does look bad. I am sorry I sent it.

No, I have no tooth/gum related conditions.

Here is a cell phone photo I took a month ago before the bridge was cut off. You can see the root canal at #28. That tooth is being extracted next month. My periodontist and my general dentist want to do bone graft and later after healing implants at #28 and #30. This will cost $10k. My bride says why not go for the less expensive partial removable bridge.

A bridge using available abutment teeth does seem like a good idea….to me. But I am no dentist.

Thanks again

Attachments

• xray closeup.jpg
    xray closeup.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 93

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Removable partial is definitely less expensive and less drilling (less traumatic). The only downside is it may be less comfortable and more hassles taking it in and out. If you can get used to it, then it would be a better choice than the long span fixed (cemented) bridge.

Vote:

Ask a Question