Pericoronitis? What to do

So a few days ago I started getting pain in the back of my mouth. Didn’t think much of it because I get canker sores sometimes and I figured it could be that. I looked in my mouth and it’s basically red and tender and maybe a bit inflamed above my left molar(wisdom tooth).

It’s gotten worse and now it hurts ok my left side to chew and my neck/throat hurts and I can barely open my mouth because it hurts a lot. The teeth feel fine except it’s a tiny bit tender if I press on the left bottom wisdom tooth. I didn’t think it could be pericoronitis because my wisdom teeth came in years prior with no issues and the dentist never told me to get them removed(my sister had to get hers removed when they came in). I’ve also never had this happen before. It’s making me nervous and I was really just expecting it to go away like a canker sore in some days but right now it’s just painful constantly and it’s making hard to even sleep. I feel like it might be getting better and that the pain is subsiding a bit and don't know it if is necessary to see a dentist as potentially I guess the infection can spread and become dangerous? I called my dentists office but the earliest appointment I could get was like a little over a week away. I've heard the most common treatment is to clean out the area and sometimes to take antibiotics and possibly get the wisdom teeth removed. I can clean it out somewhat on my own, but I don't know if I should get on antibiotics sooner rather than later to be safe?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

If the pain is getting better, no need for antibiotics.
It might be a good idea to get a anti-septic mouthwash to use. Or rinse with some luke-warm salt water, at least 4 times a day.
Go and see your dentist thereafter, and have him evaluate your wisdom teeth for possible removal.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
As per Dr M. I rarely see people who will manage to fit their wisdoms in so well that there will be no problems later in life.
Basic rules:
  1. If they only come part of the way through, even if no pain, then have them removed.
  2. If they give any trouble at all (e.g. pericoronitis), get them out.
  3. If they don't function well, i.e. bite well with opposing wisdom teeth, get them out.
  4. I really see very few people who I think will get through the rest of their lives without problems. I have no love lost for wisdom teeth! :(

Vote:

Ask a Question