Perforated sinus how long to heal

Solutions
I recently had 3 teeth pulled, on day 7 I started getting liquid that came out of the nose when gargling. And since then, I feel air rushing through, and liquid still comes out. The dentist said it’s a perforated sinus and will close on its own. It’s been 4 days with this going on. Is this true?? Will it close on its own??

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Depending on the size of the sinus perforation, it might be necessary to have surgery done to close the opening. If this is not done, it could cause chronic sinus problems and/or infection. It might be a good idea to have an oral surgeon look at this problem, and then he can determine if it needs to be closed or left as is.

Hope this helps

Vote:
Solutions
The water stopped coming out 3 days ago and I don’t feel air rushing in or out anymore. Do you know if this means it closed and if I go to an oral surgeon how do they determine if it closed? I’m two weeks post extraction and I would hate for them to cut me open just to see if the perforation closed or can he see through a CT scan?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Be careful not to break it open again while still healing. Don't blow your nose, and don't hold back sneezes. Most perforations of 5mm or less will close up if you allow for healing.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Usually they can determine through a scan if the perforation is closed. It all just depends on the size of the perforation, if it would close naturally or not.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
New studies show that perforations of 2mm or less heal spontaneously and if larger than that, you are at higher risks of complications.
It is normal for a small amount of fluid or blood to drain through the opening, but it is a good sign that it stopped. If you develop any sinus problems related to the affected side, please go and see a oral surgeon. This happens after about 2 weeks.

Vote:

Ask a Question