Pediatric partial

My daughter fell and broke her teeth a few months back. The dentist recommended a pedo partial and we loved the idea of it so we got them in last week. The dentist never checked bite or anything before she cemented them in. Fast forward a couple days later. I called and told them that we was biting on the partial instead of her back molars and that it needs to be re adjusted. This was about 2 days after I had them. I got an appointment set up and went it a couple days later. The dentist brushed off my concerns and told me she would get used to it... that was Thursday. Monday, I woke up and the tooth that is hitting the partial is grey! GREY! She had been biting on the partial so much that she shifted it up past her normal teeth alignment. I immediately callled them again to tell them “THE PARTIAL NEEDS READJUSTMENT! Her teeth is grey!!!” They called me in again and now wants to adjust the partial AFTER the constant trauma of hitting the partial has pretty much killed my toddlers teeth. I’m frustrated! I have been asking for this way before this happened. No one listened. And then they attempted to charge me for an X-ray WHEN JUST A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO THE TOOTH WAS FINE. Now the option I’m given is a, apply glue to my child’s back teeth to lift the front off the partial or B, remove the partial. I didn’t hear any mention of a refund with this option or even sending back the partial to the lab. It has been one week. I’m obviously going to find a new dentist. Any advice?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,
I assume the teeth that broke were removed/or fell out? How many teeth were involved? Was it her front teeth? How old is your daughter?

Vote:
Good day,
I assume the teeth that broke were removed/or fell out? How many teeth were involved? Was it her front teeth? How old is your daughter?

Attachments

• 416FBFDD-7D9F-4485-9BC3-B8CC794A2B80.jpeg
    416FBFDD-7D9F-4485-9BC3-B8CC794A2B80.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 151

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is possible that the bottom teeth were damaged during the initial trauma, since the knock was in the front. Sometimes the teeth can appear normal at first, and then later turn gray as the nerve dies. For this an x-ray and additional tests is required to determine the pulp status of the bottom teeth.
As for a pedo-partial...This is a very new concept to me, since I haven't seen one in practice, since I feel it is very controversial. You can go to a second dentist, to see if they can possibly adjust it for you-in such a way you don't lose too much money. If the denture is going to influence her growth or damage more teeth however, I would rather remove it. There is a chance that the permanent incisors will erupt a bit faster than normal and can be a bit rotated, but this is not to say. The area can rather be monitored for space loss, which can be prevented with other appliances or if the permanent incisors appear rotated, they can be fixed with a removable appliance at that stage.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I wouldn't make a partial denture for a 3yo child for aesthetic reasons; it runs the risk of interfering with her speech development and her bone growth. The lack of teeth will affect her speech too, but not as much as a denture. Kids adapt really well. Yes, the other tooth has darkened as a result of the initial blow, not the denture. Darkness in a baby front tooth alone does not mean any treatment is required.

Vote:
Thanks. I wish we were told these things before we agreed to the partial. The partial wasn’t even fitted properly before it was cemented in and now I’m afraid it will be hard to remove the partial now that it has been cemented on. Also, the dental trauma occurred a year ago and the darkened tooth happened 1 week after the partial was cemented it.

Vote:
It is possible that the bottom teeth were damaged during the initial trauma, since the knock was in the front. Sometimes the teeth can appear normal at first, and then later turn gray as the nerve dies. For this an x-ray and additional tests is required to determine the pulp status of the bottom teeth.
As for a pedo-partial...This is a very new concept to me, since I haven't seen one in practice, since I feel it is very controversial. You can go to a second dentist, to see if they can possibly adjust it for you-in such a way you don't lose too much money. If the denture is going to influence her growth or damage more teeth however, I would rather remove it. There is a chance that the permanent incisors will erupt a bit faster than normal and can be a bit rotated, but this is not to say. The area can rather be monitored for space loss, which can be prevented with other appliances or if the permanent incisors appear rotated, they can be fixed with a removable appliance at that stage.
Thanks. The tooth trauma occurred last year in September so almost 1 year ago. The darkest tooth happened right after the partial was placed. About a week. The dentist ended up applying glue to the back molars of her teeth to try and prevent her from biting down too much on the front tooth but now I’m regretting getting that done. I wish the dentist would’ve made these necessary adjustments before cementing the partial in bc I’m afraid it’s going to be hard to remove the appliance now.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It should not be to difficult to remove the partial. If you are worried, it might influence your child's normal development, rather have it removed

Vote:

Ask a Question