Pediatric dentistry advice

My daughter is almost 4 years old in 2 weeks. Monday she went to a dental appointment and she has no cavities her teeth look good. But they had 1 concern on her xray. They diagnosed a periapical lesion on the right lower 1st molar distal root. They sent me the xray an the right root looks to be dissolved. They want her to see a oral surgeon for follow up. My question how concerned should I be ? I'm very worried. She does have a bad habit of grinding her teeth every night when she is sleeping. Other than that I'm not sure what could cause this. Can someone give me advice. She has pain off and on on that tooth when she eats crunchy foods. But not all the time.

My daughter is almost 4 years old in 2 weeks. Monday she went to a dental appointment and she has no cavities her teeth look good. But they had 1 concern on her xray. They diagnosed a periapical lesion on the right lower 1st molar distal root. They sent me the xray an the right root looks to be dissolved. They want her to see a oral surgeon for follow up. My question how concerned should I be ? I'm very worried. She does have a bad habit of grinding her teeth every night when she is sleeping. Other than that I'm not sure what could cause this. Can someone give me advice. She has pain off and on on that tooth when she eats crunchy foods. But not all the time.
Here is the xray

(removed on request)

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I wouldn't be too worried. It looks like resorption rather than an abscess. Quirky things happen.
Did the dentist check to see if it was "alive" with a cold test? I'd expect it to still be alive.
Lots of kids grind their teeth at this age without harm, and NO treatment is required.
I don't see what an OS would do (apart from extraction); all other teeth and bone looks good.
I see you as having 3 options:
  1. Take her to a paediatric dentist for an opinion and treatment as they see fit. I think they'd suggest Option 2 or 3.
  2. Leave the tooth alone. If eventually it starts to give her trouble, then extract and place a space maintainer.
  3. Perform an elective pulpotomy and stainless steel crown.
Personally, I'd go for option 2 for a child of this age. The least traumatic for her.

Vote:

Ask a Question