Partial dentures

Kav

I recently had a bridge removed. I have had a lot of bone loss and we discussed doing a partial. I have had it since Monday and it's horrible. It's loose, I'm biting the inside of my cheek and it's affecting my speech. I'm beyond disappointed and discouraged because I'm concerned this is going to be an ongoing problem. I'll call Monday but I was so hoping this would work out.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Unfortunately partial dentures are always going to feel more loose, compared to a bridge which was a fixed unit. If the partial is acrylic, then additional clasps might provide a bit more retention and stability. Alternatively a chrome-cobalt partial denture could be considered. They are a lot more comfortable than acrylic partial dentures, and the various design options provide a bit more stability and retention, but a chrome cobalt denture is also more expensive.
Discuss your worries with your dentist, and see what can be done.
Your speech should normalize once you get used to the partial denture. It always takes some time.

Vote:

Ask a Question