Painful Filling

I had filling that has been in for about 2-3 years and I did't notice any issues, however the Dentist said it was loose and needed to be replaced. I went in, and the Dentist. removed the old filling and had his assistant put in a new filling. I was a little skeptical when the process was finally complete. The assistant did the filling, had me bite and grind, and removed what she needed to. The thing was that I thought I felt her doing the same thing to the top tooth, when the filling was on the bottom. I was numb so I couldn't tell for sure, but once I was no longer numb I could feel where this was done.

Since then, I have had extreme pain where the work was done. Eating something like a banana is noticeable, but anything harder than that is unbearable. I can't drink anything cold on that side of my mouth now either, and issue that I didn't have before this was done.

I went back in to have it looked at and the assistant looked at it, then called the Dentist in. He was going to clear a high spot, and right after he started I felt an extremely sharp pain, and I shouted out a bit. He said just a little more, and I had the same feeling, so I just asked him to stop. I stood up and he said that is just the way fillings are. They will hurt for a bit, and then the pain will subside. If it doesn't, I would just need to use Sensodyne toothpaste. I asked why it didn't hurt before I came in, but it does now. . . and I got a sort of, that is just how it is. I left the room I was in, and stood around the corner. I heard some mumbling, then laughing. That is when I had enough, and just walked out.

I guess my question is, is this normal? I have had fillings in the past, and have never had this much pain. Even when they replaced all my old dark ones with the new white ones. Also, is the assistant supposed to grind/drill a perfectly good tooth to make room for a filling she just put in? I looked up her position on their website and she is a Dental Assistant / E.F.D.A. She didn't make me feel comfortable when she did the filling, said she was done, then added more to the filling.

Ask a Question