Pain with warm/hot liquids

Hi. I'm here to see if anyone's had a similar experience to what I'm going through right now. I do trust my dentist completely (he's awesome!) and I don't really want to go elsewhere for a second opinion, so maybe someone can share some insight here.

About 3 weeks ago I started having a sharp (not excruciating or anything) pain on the top left side of my mouth when drinking warm/hot liquids. The pain doesn't linger too long and it doesn't hurt with cold liquids. (I do have sensitive teeth and the cold does hurt at times, but this new pain is different – in a different spot and deeper). I've been to my dentist twice since then and he's checked everything thoroughly – xrays, etc. and nothing shows up. He says my teeth are fine and nothing can really be done until there are more symptoms. And I get that, I would not want to do anything that's unnecessary, but I worry for two reasons...aren't we always told prevention is the key and to not let things get worse? And, I'm going on holidays in two weeks and I don't even know what I would do if things got worse while I was travelling...

My dentist did tell me he could phone in a prescription for antibiotics if my gums became swollen. Are there any other symptoms I should be looking for? My gums around the area where the pain is coming from have been kind of red since this started but he didn't seem to concerned about that. And I've been googling tooth/gum abscess and I have don't have a build up of pus that they talk about and my symptoms aren't that severe.

It doesn't hurt to bite/chew or to brush or floss – only warm/hot liquids trigger the pain. And I'm sure this is not the pain of sensitive teeth – I've been dealing with that forever (I've been using Sensodyne for years) and know what that feels like. And, the dentist put some desensitizer on the area when I was in and it didn't help at all..

I'm at a loss – any advice or help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Solutions
I've had this type of thing twice and in both cases it was a cracked tooth. One was then fixed with a new filling another with a gold onlay. Every dentist has a different approach but based on my experiences I personally wouldn't leave any tooth I have with heat sensitivity untreated.

Vote:
I've had this type of thing twice and in both cases it was a cracked tooth. One was then fixed with a new filling another with a gold onlay. Every dentist has a different approach but based on my experiences I personally wouldn't leave any tooth I have with heat sensitivity untreated.
Thank you for your reply! How did you know it was a cracked tooth - did it show up on an Xray? I've been to the dentist twice and he can't find anything wrong...

Vote:
Solutions
When the dentist pressed on the tooth at a certain angle there was residual pain. The crack was letting the heat get nearer to the nerve than it would normally be. When it's a crack the pain lingers a little after pressure is applied.

Vote:
When the dentist pressed on the tooth at a certain angle there was residual pain. The crack was letting the heat get nearer to the nerve than it would normally be. When it's a crack the pain lingers a little after pressure is applied.
Thanks, I have no pain at all when pressure is applied. Guess I'll just wait and see for a few days...

Vote:

Ask a Question