Pain Management

Hi, I'm new here and I am wondering about the policy of not giving pain meds. I understand that Motrin and other NSAIDs work well for pain, but I am allergic to them; they make my bronchial tubes close. I need extensive restoration work and have undergone two procedures this past two months, that have been horrifyingly painful afterward. I have osteoarthritis in my back, with some slippage; which is basically a big spider of spurs in my lower back and I take a minimal dosage of pain meds daily. My dosage is on the low end and does not cover pain from a large molar removal and a bone graft.

The Dentist told me to take an extra pill, but I don't get extra pills; there are two a day and that's it. Then the Dentist told me to take Tylenol, which doesn't really work and at that level would put me over the amount that would be bad for my liver. I just spent the last week in terrible pain at night from my jaw and I can't do this over and over to get my teeth restored. My front teeth need root canals and I would rather just get implants, but I'm starting to panic that I will have to keep going through terrible pain.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to go to another Country to get my teeth fixed, but it's starting to look like that's my only option. What has happened to Dentistry in this Country? We have the newest wonderful procedures to restore teeth, but the opioid epidemic has made the Dentists into barbarians!

I just have to ask, if the Medical Community is so worried about addiction, then why don't they treat Addicts? Our Addicts are banished to the streets; to buy unsafe street drugs and become a pestilence to their communities. Our Schools push Ritalin (meth) on our grade school kids, with nothing said about what happens to these kids, when they get into their twenties. I see so many young people on the streets begging and wonder if they were drugged during their school years. Yet, the push to save Addicts is the harsh clampdown on Chronic Pain Patients, who are going through some of the toughest times imaginable right now; cancer patients and elderly not exempted.

What really puts me over the top, though, is looking up the PERS system investments and seeing that the Legislators making these laws on our pain meds have their retirement accounts firmly in these companies making the new patented opioid drugs. They are getting rid of the old drugs that people and government entities can afford, for new drugs which will make everyone money. It's an ugly accusation and I hate making it, but there it is and I still don't know how I'm going to be able to get my teeth fixed. How can this be happening in our Country?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  1. If you go to another country, are you hoping they'll prescribe opioids because you can't tolerate ibuprofen or acetaminophen?
  2. Has your bronchial reaction (not an allergy) to NSAIDs been diagnosed by a respiratory physician? Here's a useful and commonsense article.
  3. Do you have a liver condition that stops you taking acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
  4. Have you considered a selective COX-2 inhibitor?
I suggest you go have a talk to your doctor.

Vote:
  1. If you go to another country, are you hoping they'll prescribe opioids because you can't tolerate ibuprofen or acetaminophen?
  2. Has your bronchial reaction (not an allergy) to NSAIDs been diagnosed by a respiratory physician? Here's a useful and commonsense article.
  3. Do you have a liver condition that stops you taking acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
  4. Have you considered a selective COX-2 inhibitor?
I suggest you go have a talk to your doctor.

Hi Matt,

1. Yes, some minimal pain relief would be nice. I keep my dosage low on opioids, because I don't want to build up a resistance, but when the pain is screaming I do need some relief. The Dentists I've seen have had such an attitude, it's not worth even discussing it with them. Besides, my back pills are prescribed for my back, not for Dental work.

2. I discovered my allergy to NSAIDs, after I ended up in the ER. I never had those problems before I was exposed to black mold. I have asthma from the black mold and I take Symbicort.

3. No, I believe my liver is good, I'm pretty healthy, other than my back (and a few other problems), but I'm already taking tylenol in my daily dosage of pain meds. Tylenol really doesn't work for that kind of pain. I would be fine with taking NSAIDs, because I think the anti-inflammatory part does play a key role, but again, I get a severe asthma attack going when I take them.

4. No, I've not looked into a selective Cox-2 inhibitor, I was under the impression that they are closely related to the NSAIDs. I will do some more research on those. I don't have health insurance, so I am on my own on a lot of this problem.

I've spoken to my doctor about it and he sympathizes, but I've never asked him to increase my dosage. Thank you for that suggestion, maybe I can find a dentist who could coordinate with my doctor, though I'm afraid to call around without getting branded a pill seeker. Chronic pain patients shouldn't be treated this way, we are fighting to live and most are responsible with their medications. I appreciate your reply and thank you again.

Vote:
Hi, I'm new here and I am wondering about the policy of not giving pain meds. I understand that Motrin and other NSAIDs work well for pain, but I am allergic to them; they make my bronchial tubes close. I need extensive restoration work and have undergone two procedures this past two months, that have been horrifyingly painful afterward. I have osteoarthritis in my back, with some slippage; which is basically a big spider of spurs in my lower back and I take a minimal dosage of pain meds daily. My dosage is on the low end and does not cover pain from a large molar removal and a bone graft.

The Dentist told me to take an extra pill, but I don't get extra pills; there are two a day and that's it. Then the Dentist told me to take Tylenol, which doesn't really work and at that level would put me over the amount that would be bad for my liver. I just spent the last week in terrible pain at night from my jaw and I can't do this over and over to get my teeth restored. My front teeth need root canals and I would rather just get implants, but I'm starting to panic that I will have to keep going through terrible pain.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to go to another Country to get my teeth fixed, but it's starting to look like that's my only option. What has happened to Dentistry in this Country? We have the newest wonderful procedures to restore teeth, but the opioid epidemic has made the Dentists into barbarians!

I just have to ask, if the Medical Community is so worried about addiction, then why don't they treat Addicts? Our Addicts are banished to the streets; to buy unsafe street drugs and become a pestilence to their communities. Our Schools push Ritalin (meth) on our grade school kids, with nothing said about what happens to these kids, when they get into their twenties. I see so many young people on the streets begging and wonder if they were drugged during their school years. Yet, the push to save Addicts is the harsh clampdown on Chronic Pain Patients, who are going through some of the toughest times imaginable right now; cancer patients and elderly not exempted.

What really puts me over the top, though, is looking up the PERS system investments and seeing that the Legislators making these laws on our pain meds have their retirement accounts firmly in these companies making the new patented opioid drugs. They are getting rid of the old drugs that people and government entities can afford, for new drugs which will make everyone money. It's an ugly accusation and I hate making it, but there it is and I still don't know how I'm going to be able to get my teeth fixed. How can this be happening in our Country?

Vote:
wow!!!! in january 2018 I survived a tramatic tooth "extraction" the dentist that did this act of butchery REFUSED to provide me with any sort of rx pain med I too am VERY ALLERGIC to all NSAIDS the dentist refused to refer me to any other dental practioner I was informed to take benadryl with the motrin , well I ended up in the emergency room in dire straits. I will NEVER returned to the dentist that butchered my mouth. In fact my family suggested to go to oral surgeon, which I did with much anxiety. so six thousand dollars out of pocket later I am on the way to heal up receive competent dental care

Vote:

Ask a Question