Pain in Root Canal Tooth After One Year

I will try to make this short. I received my first root canal last year in June (almost a year ago) due to an old filling cracking and decaying. After the root canal I was not able to chew on that tooth for months due to the pain. My dentist gave me several different medicines to help with infection and inflammation, but he still ended up having to redo it and put medicine down in it. Two months after that he removed the medicine and refilled it. After all that I still couldn't chew on it. (I should clarify that when I say I can't chew on it I mean hard things. Soft things like bread are okay... until the bread tries to pull away from the tooth and that cause a bit of discomfort. Also, if I push on it with my tongue, it is very uncomfortable.) I went back to me original dentist after my endodontist point-blank told me that there was nothing more he could do for me and if it didn't stop hurting to "go find a dentist and have it pulled." My dentist said the pain could be caused by a crack in the root system, but that was rare and it very well could be the temporary filling and the hole that had developed in the back of my tooth from the filling slowly chipping away. She set me up with an appointment to have the temp filling removed and a permanent filling put in. That appointment was this past Monday. I chose to have the procedure done without any numbing medication since technically the root should be dead. I felt no pain from it (except for the wedges placed between my tooth...ouch!) and the dentist said that there was no further decay from the hole and she could not see any cracks in the roots. After that procedure was over my tooth actually felt great. There was no pain whatsoever. Unfortunately, the next morning was a different story. My usual pain had returned, only a little worse, AND my gums are now stinging when a try to eat.

I am so emotionally wrung out by this whole process. Is there anyone else who has gone through something like this? Is there any hope of possibly keeping the tooth. I am 27 years old and would not like to loss a tooth so early in life (it is a back tooth, by the way).

Any help, suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ask a Question