Pain in molars

Hello, I'm posting to ask for help/information on pain I have in my molars - a pain I've had for as long as I can remember!
Background: I'm 18, I have all my permanent teeth (All but 2 of my baby teeth had to be pulled, for whatever reason the roots never developed enough to push the teeth out on their own, not sure if that's related) and have never had any real issues with my teeth. No cavities/gum disease/etc.

For as long as I've had my permanent molars, I've had a near permanent pain/sensation in my molars on both sides, top and bottom that is only relieved when I apply pressure via grinding my teeth, pushing them together top against bottom, or chewing on things like gum, toothpicks, straws, and sometimes even caps like on water bottles. I wear a custom nightguard prescribed by my dentist a few years ago to try to help with grinding my teeth at night, because he believed that might have been what caused the pain/very uncomfortable sensation I feel, but that has never noticeably helped. Has anyone else ever experienced this? If not, does anyone know if this is a somewhat common thing? And what can I do about it/are there things someone could recommend that would be safe to chew on during the day to help with this? Gum works sometimes, but I have to use a lot of it to make it tough enough that it really creates enough pressure to help the pain.

Thanks for any help!

Ask a Question