Pain from hard chewing

Hi,
I have a strange problem with a tooth that has been stumping a few dentists. It is on the bottom second from the right. It had a few filling, one was deep and close to the nerve. When I chew softly on it the tooth is ok, but when I chew hard it hurts for about 15 minutes. If I continue eventually the gum gets very sore between it and the tooth on the end. They thought it might be uneven on the top, filing down on edge helped a bit. Another dentist decided the tooth was fractured and put on an orthodontic band, but this had no effect. The pain feels more like it is under the tooth, like pressing down hurts there.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Have your dentist periodontally probe for attachment loss and have you bite on a tooth sleuth. After biting onto a tooth sleuth, if you notice pain upon release, it may indicate fracture. If your tooth feels cold, then it should be vital. If it doesn't, the tooth may be necrotic and needs root canal or extraction.

If the tooth is intact and vital with no attachment loss, consider crown. Also consider a bite guard as you may be grinding and or clenching.

Vote:
Have your dentist periodontally probe for attachment loss and have you bite on a tooth sleuth. After biting onto a tooth sleuth, if you notice pain upon release, it may indicate fracture. If your tooth feels cold, then it should be vital. If it doesn't, the tooth may be necrotic and needs root canal or extraction.

If the tooth is intact and vital with no attachment loss, consider crown. Also consider a bite guard as you may be grinding and or clenching.

Thanks, I'll find out more in a few days. Could it be a high spot causing it as well? They reduced a high spot a bit and it seemed to reduce the problem.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thanks, I'll find out more in a few days. Could it be a high spot causing it as well? They reduced a high spot a bit and it seemed to reduce the problem.
That is the best case scenario and I hope that takes care of your problem. However, many times that is just hiding a major problem. Hope for the best.

Vote:

Ask a Question