Pain and Burning with Crest Baking Soda and Peroxide Toothpaste

I always get a burning sensation and pain after brushing my teeth with Crest Baking Soda and Peroxide Whitening toothpaste brand. It is seriously annoying, irritating and hurts my mouth so much. The pain is so much to the point where it is all I think about as I go about my day. It usually lasts a while and does not subside until a few hours later. It also sucks for eating since I have to wait until the burning and pain goes away before I can eat.

I am lazy, irregular and do not have the cleanest regiment/schedule for cleaning my teeth, therefore I have noticed my teeth getting more tartar, plaque and yellow over the past couple years. I don't smoke and I try and stay away from sugary beverages as much as I can. On the other hand, I do drink coffee and tea of which I know stains your teeth. I do have a sweet tooth when it comes to my diet and I tend to eat a lot of baked goods/sweets, breads and sauces/soups with sugar in them.

I used to use Colgate Total Whitening brand toothpaste. The Colgate on the other hand, does not give me any problems what so ever and is totally fine. But I decided to switch to the Crest since it is a cheaper price and I can save a lot more money by going with the Crest instead of the Colgate.

Is it...

A. The baking soda that is causing the pain and burning sensation? I know that baking soda is a 'mild abrasive'. Therefore I figured the baking soda could be cutting too hard into my gums/mouth.
B. The Hydrogen Peroxide that is causing the pain and burning sensation? I know that hydrogen peroxide is used for bleaching and whitening.
C. A combination of both the baking soda and the hydrogen peroxide that is causing the pain and burning sensation?

I am thinking it's C, a combination of both the baking soda and the peroxide that is causing the burning sensation. I am thinking the baking soda is cutting into my gums and mouth too deep and then the peroxide finds itself into the micro cuts and abrasions and 'stings' the inner/softer flesh/gums.

With all that said, should I just go back to the Colgate even though it's more expensive? I am willing to pay a little more if it means better well being after I brush my teeth and not having to worry about having a burning mouth as I go about my day. On the other hand, I am such a frugal and I always try and buy the cheapest products whenever I am shopping that I am afraid I might have to stick it out and see if there are any improvements and/or my mouth eventually adapting to the baking soda and peroxide and helping me develop a tolerance.

Help?!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I assume you mean the pain is affecting your gums and soft tissues? You don't mention tooth sensitivity as a problem.
Most patients tell me of increased tooth sensitivity with "whitening" toothpastes compared to "normal" toothpastes.
Yes, whitening toothpastes with high levels of H2O2 have been shown to slowly produce an increase in whiteness after weeks of continual use, but if you continue to use stain-producing foods/drinks and only brush sporadically, then you probably wasting your money. And teeth naturally darken as we get older because the dentine tubules get denser, and the pulp ("nerve") recedes.
I suggest you switch to the cheapest fluoride toothpaste you can find and concentrate on getting your overall dental hygiene and health to a good level.

Vote:

Ask a Question