Pain and asymmetrical nostrils after apicoectomy

I had an apicoectomy in September 2021 on one of my left upper incisors and root canal on the other left upper incisor. Since then, I had periods of toothache which was very different than every other toothache I've experienced. It would come and go and It would usually hurt when I drank water or ate some hard solids.
It doesn't hurt currently (it hasn't since April), but I still feel some small bump just above the gumline. Also, the nostril that's on the same side as those teeth doesn't move as much. My nose looks much more asymmetrical than it did before the surgery (the left nostril is much higher than the right one when I smile).
My dentist says there's nothing in the xray and that it's probably normal. Another dentist suggested tooth extraction, but he said he couldn't guarantee that the symptoms would go away.

So, my question is - what's the possible cause of this, should I see some other type of doctor? Could it be tumor?

I am very sorry for such a long post, but I am getting a little paranoid and I feel very self conscious because I already have asymmetrical face and now it looks even worse.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Do you perhaps have any post-op x-rays that you can share? The small bump that you feel, might be an area of hypertrophied tissue or scar tissue, in the area where the initial incision was made.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
X-rays pre- and post-op please. Photo of the small bump too if possible. Having done many apicocectomies, and knowledge of the anatomy typically involved, I deeply doubt that your nostril position has changed. There is no anatomical or surgical basis for this to have occurred after an apico. Nearly EVERYONE has an asymmetrical face. Many movie stars and television presenters are often chosen because they have fairly symmetrical faces, so don't compare yourself to them - have a look at this site, or upload pictures of yourself and friends here.

Vote:

Ask a Question