Pain AGAIN 18 months after 2nd canal on tooth

I had a root canal on my upper left molar all the way in the back in early 2010. It was a horrible experience. The dentist couldn't get my tooth numb and she was digging out the nerves while I felt everything. I had tears streaming down my face. It was worse than the pain of childbirth.

In the summer of 2011 that tooth started to have pain again. There was no way I was going back to the first dentist so I went to an endodontist. My insurance didn't cover the re treatment and we had to pay the $1400 out of pocket.

A few weeks ago I started having pain again. I thought it was the tooth next to it but after pressing on my teeth today I realized it is the root canal tooth.

I called the endodontist office and the secretary gave me the run around saying that they don't guarantee anything and that I would probably have to pay for re treatment. I am going on Tues to talk to the dentist. I am *hoping* that since it has only been 18 months he will agree to just fix the tooth but I had problems dealing with their office and my insurance the first time and I doubt he will do it. The office staff is really rude and he seems like he just wants to make as much money as possible. :(

So my choices will be: go to a different dentist for a third root canal (can't go back to the endodontist because our insurance changed - not like I would anyway) or have the tooth pulled. Would there really be a problem getting the very back tooth pulled? What are the chances my teeth would shift?

I have had people who are in a similar predicament that you are in and most of the time I recommend them getting the tooth pulled. The problem is that it is going to affect each person differently. Some people may experience shifting and others might not. And as far as having that tooth missing, some people do not mind while others take a while to adjust to it. I would talk to as many dental professionals and get as many opinions as you can before making the decision though.

Vote:

Ask a Question