Pain after temporary crown placed

I had a filling about 15 years ago in one of my upper molars, I started having some sensitivity to hot and cold food so I asked my dentist to take a look at it. He said that the tooth probably had some more decay and he would open it up and put a crown on. On Friday I went in to have the tooth drilled and get fitted for a permanent crown. The procedure went well, I had the temporary crown put in, and had no pain, until the novocaine wore off. After the novocaine wore off I started to experience some pain around the tooth and figured it was because all of the drilling so I took some extra strength pain medication and it helped for a little while. The second day it still hurt, but not as bad. The third day it really didn't hurt at all, except for a little stinging every now and again. The third night however, my tooth started to hurt even worse than the first day. The top of my mouth around the tooth and the teeth on the lower are throbbing. I have tried taking the same extra strength pain medication I used before and it didn't help. I started raiding the medicine cabinet and found my mom's naproxen that she takes for fibromyalgia and it didn't help either. I don't have anything stronger and it's only 5am so I can't go out and buy anything to help. Also, my dentist office is closed on Wednesday's, so lucky me I have to wait another whole day before I can even get this checked out. Does anyone know of anything I might be able to buy to help alleviate the pain or have any idea what might be wrong with my tooth?

drmins

Verified Dentist
Unfortunate that none of us attended your post on time. Hadn't been to the forum since long. Hope things are okay with you now.
If the pain you are referring is from the same tooth that your dentist drilled,i suspect a pulp exposure and the need for a root canal treatment.However,an X ray may be needed to conclude it.

(I don't mind to address your calls to 0091 98 95 390 730,in emergencies like this.)

Vote:

Ask a Question