Pain after root canal

Hi, I had a root canal three weeks ago. It got to that point because I am terrified of that chair, but that's another topic. It was on three contiguous teeth, 2 of them molars. They weren't sure if they could save the middle molar, but they were able to finish the root canal. It was the only tooth that actually hurt a lot before the root canal. So after the root canal I got what I would assume is the normal pain you get after a root canal, all good. Yesterday I was eating guacamole, it was very cold, and suddenly I felt a lot of sensitivity, it felt like a nerve started throbbing. It went away but now I got this dull pain and it hurts if I press on the tooth.

My question is: is this normal? Or did they miss a nerve? My appointment for crown prep is next Tuesday, but I'd like to know6if this could be normal because of the condition the tooth was in, or if they missed a nerve. Thank you.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Have your dentist do a cold test on the root canalled tooth. Most likely the cold sensitivity could be from the adjacent teeth.

Vote:
Hi, I had a root canal three weeks ago. It got to that point because I am terrified of that chair, but that's another topic. It was on three contiguous teeth, 2 of them molars. They weren't sure if they could save the middle molar, but they were able to finish the root canal. It was the only tooth that actually hurt a lot before the root canal. So after the root canal I got what I would assume is the normal pain you get after a root canal, all good. Yesterday I was eating guacamole, it was very cold, and suddenly I felt a lot of sensitivity, it felt like a nerve started throbbing. It went away but now I got this dull pain and it hurts if I press on the tooth.

My question is: is this normal? Or did they miss a nerve? My appointment for crown prep is next Tuesday, but I'd like to know6if this could be normal because of the condition the tooth was in, or if they missed a nerve. Thank you.

Vote:

I think that there is a canal that might have been, inadvertently, bypassed. Was your procedure done by an endo professional? They have high-powered microscopes that can see 3/4 down the canal.
I just had RCT yesterday and the back (distal) root if by lower molar branched out midway into a ‘Y’ configuration.

I'm a retired dentist after 44 years, and I tell you, it would be easy to miss another canal without their special equipment.

In the future, endodontics may incorporate a 3D CAT scan like what is done before placement if an implant. Then, it could take away the drudgery of trying to visualize an accessory canal, or try finding a divot with a curved file and adroit attention to finding a tiny opening. This technology needs to be preferable, nowadays; and affordable.

So, don't have the crown until your dilemma is resolved.

I was eating some cherries today with my daughter, and I almost crunched down on a pit! I had already fractured a tooth on the opposite side- root canal/ crown/ extraction/ implant.

I have provisions to place a temporary ‘core’ which is not only sealing and keeping food out, but adhering to the prepped walls.

But, after I counter-sunk the temporary (Cavit) I experienced a ‘shock’ when I cured the restorative components with my curing light! I don't think it has anything to do with post- cure expansion. U have no clue! Any dentist, please chime in. Thanks.

Attachments

• C69CBF0D-DA68-45D4-8CFA-16B222CCDD7F.jpeg
    C69CBF0D-DA68-45D4-8CFA-16B222CCDD7F.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 42
  • B6E8940B-FAF6-4B07-B841-9B69BC880A3F.jpeg
    B6E8940B-FAF6-4B07-B841-9B69BC880A3F.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 41114C61-35CC-43BE-8124-434F195170F9.jpeg
    41114C61-35CC-43BE-8124-434F195170F9.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Root canals can bifurcate and trifurcate like you mentioned. 3D CT scan is very useful to identify these anatomic difficulties. According to a prominent endodontist in Boston, he could only instrument about 60 to 80% of all MB2 canals.

2nd molars get the brunt of occlusal forces and can suffer coronal damage. My #18 has worn halfway down. I wear a custom occlusal guard and my "shocks" have decreased significantly.

Vote:

Ask a Question