Pain after root canal

Hi,

I had root canal treatment (RCT) on three molars recently, one molar was completed about one month ago and the other two molars were completed 5 days ago, I didn't have any crowns fitted yet, just three fillings, I will get crowns fitted in about six months all going well.

My problem is that I am having some pain from the RCT on one of the molars that got done 5 days ago. I didn't have any pain at all from the other two teeth at any stage after RCT. The pain is only noticeable when I eat certain foods which put pressure on that tooth at a certain angle, it's not a toothache pain or cavity pain but a nerve gum pain and is quite sharp, the dentist said there was blood coming out from that tooth when I was getting the RCT done and I was given antibiotics (but didn't take them).

I want to know will the pain go away? Do you think it's a nerve that is still alive after the RCT and is likely to always cause pain unless something is done with it?
Thanks!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Sometimes after a root canal treatment has been done, there can be some lingering pain on the tooth for about a month. If this pain persists after a month, it is best to go see the dentist again so that the tooth can be re-evaluated. It is also important to note that due to the fact that you have pain when eating certain foods at an angle, it might be that the filling on the tooth is a bit too high and causes trauma to the ligaments that surround the tooth. If this is the case, the filling needs to be adjusted.
On a side note-if there was infection and your dentist suggested antibiotics, it is best that you should have taken them.

Vote:
Hi there,

That's very helpful, I didn't think it could take up to a month to recover. I will give it another 3 weeks and will get in touch with the dentist. The gum of the molar was bleeding when the RCT was being done and I didn't think there was much of an infection but I will now take the antibiotics.
Thanks for the help!

Vote:

Ask a Question