Pain after root canal 10 days later

RBC

I had a root canal 10 days ago. The pain never went away. I went back on day 4 as she wanted to take a look. She took X-rays. There was no infection and she said the root canal was a success. She prescribed steroids to help with the swelling which she said was causing the pain. I've had some relief but the pain comes back. So does the swelling. Help????

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Do you perhaps have any x-rays to share? It can sometimes take a while for a root canal to "settle", although the tooth should not have any swelling or severe pain

Vote:

RBC

No I don't have the x-rays, but today is week 3 and the pain is still there. It's not constant, but at times it's sharp. Sometimes the pain travels down my neck. Also, I'm experiencing pain in another tooth on the bottom as well as one on the top. Again, none of the pain is constant and it alternates between the sharp traveling pain to a dull ache. I'm thinking I need to give up and have it extracted!

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately without any x-rays, I can't confirm if the root canal was indeed "a success", and therefore can't advise you if the tooth needs to be extracted or not

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Dental X-rays in the US should all be in digital format (traditional x-rays have no more support by dental supply companies). Request the x-rays to be emailed to you.

Vote:

Ask a Question