Pain after lower molar extraction ...

Hi,
I had a lower molar extracted yesterday. It bled for at least 4hrs and was quite painful despite taking paracetamol. I managed to get intermittent sleep last night. When I woke this morning, the pain was insignificant, more uncomfortable which I put down to the swelling. I had breakfast and cleaned my teeth with a soft brush and rinsed with the chlorhexidine mouthwash which was prescribed by my dentist. Still no pain.

However, after I gently rinsed with salt water after my lunch today the pain returned with a vengeance. I also have a thin inflamed line around the gum edge of extraction site, which I'm pretty sure wasn't there yesterday. I took paracetamol and the pain receded after about 3/4 of an hour.

I'm really worried I've developed an infection because the pain has returned and because of the red line around the gum edge.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's very rare to get an infection after an extraction, unless you already had a significant swelling beforehand. Hence, antibiotics are rarely required. An infection would be evidenced by unusual swelling, beyond normal post-op swelling. you sound OK to me.

Vote:

Ask a Question