Pain 3 weeks after gum flap surgery

I had gum flap and a little bone filed down 3 weeks ago on my lower left moler. I went back last week to have the stitches removed and the surgeon said it healed well.
3 weeks later, I have pain at the site of the procedure. Its not inflamed and a nice pink colour.
I do have a painful hole in my top tooth on the same side which is so painful. Do you think it could just be referred pain from that?
Its seems strange that it's now starting to hurt.
Many thanks in advance.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Difficult to say without any clinical photos or x-rays? Do you perhaps have any that you can share?

Vote:
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have any clinical pictures but I have attached one that I have tried to take myself. Its not the best picture.

Attachments

• 20220728_121219.jpg
    20220728_121219.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 13

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Difficult to see on the photo. The partial denture is not impinging on the soft tissue or teeth in any way?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Apologies. Did not look at the photo properly.
Unfortunately to determine if the hole on the tooth is causing the pain, a x-ray would be required in order to determine the extent of the decay. Your lower right canine seems like it still has some recession defect present. Are you experiencing sensitivity or a dull pain?

Vote:
I had an xray on the top tooth with the hole and its quite deep and the crown needs replacing, possible root canal. But the pain at the bottom, in the picture is where I had gum flap surgery 3 weeks ago and it sore where the surgery took place

Vote:
I had an xray on the top tooth with the hole and its quite deep and the crown needs replacing, possible root canal. But the pain at the bottom, in the picture is where I had gum flap surgery 3 weeks ago and it sore where the surgery took place
Its like a constant ache and sometimes radiates the whole bottom jaw on that side.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It sounds like it might just be residual surgical pain, which might be normal. Surgical pain can sometimes last a month. You should still mention this to your dentist, when you see him again.

Vote:

Ask a Question