Overfilling surgery?

Good afternoon everyone
About 18 months ago I had RTC on an upper molar. It took multiple visits, during which the original dentist handed over to a different one. At the time, it was remarked upon that I had one extremely long root which was not the central one. Anyway, it all eventually got done.
About 6 months ago, I noticed a "pimple" on my gum. It seemed to be pus-filled, but quickly went away. Then it came back...and now it is almost a permanent fixture. I must add that unless I actually press hard on the site, I feel no pain. However, sometimes when I am exercising and my heart rate goes up I can hear a 'clicking', almost like the sound you get in your ears when you dive into water and 'equalise' the pressure in your ears.
Anyway, I went to the dentist, and she put a think needle in through the pimple and it clearly came out alongside this long root on the X-ray. Also on the X-ray is an odd bulge half way down this otherwise smoothly tapering root. She says there is overfilling and she needs to perform a surgery through the gum to remove the overfilling. I have been doing some reading (I am a biologist) and it seems this is nothing unusual.
Can anyone tell me a little more about this procedure and how successful it is likely to be? I assumed the pimple was infection, but the dentist insists it is mainly inflammation caused by the overfill. Wouldn't antibiotics work just as well?
Thanks
Becca

It's likely an apicectomy your dentist wants to do. It involves gaining access to the tip of the root and excavating the infected part. If properly done, success rate is high. You mentioned that the pimple was pus-filled at a time. That suggests to me that there is also an infection and not just inflammation. If this is the case, then you would need both the procedure and antibiotics. Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

Ask a Question