ORAL SURGERY - BROKEN TOOTH & ROOTS STILL IN GUMS

I have a #2 molar in the upper right part of my mouth that was incorrectly extracted about 2-3 years ago. The dentist "said" it was out but come to find out as of a week ago when I experienced a weird popping sensation and sever excruciating pain that the dentist shattered my tooth and left both halves of my roots still in the gums. I am now informed that I have to go see an oral surgeon to have it surgically removed.

I am incredibly PTSD and Anxiety struck over anything to do with the dentist let alone surgery. My past experiences with terrible and honestly not properly certified to work on patients teeth/mouth has caused me to have terrible fears and worries and always thinking the worst. (Because in the past the worst has happened)

I am worried that im not going to be at ease or feel the pain. My last experience I had a dentist use the maximum amount of lidocane to numb me up and the legal dose he could give a human and I felt every minute of the pain. It was the longest 7 minutes of my life. Now then a surgery is taking place i just dont want to be in pain.

Can anyone give me advice or experiences of similar surgical procedures to help me stop over thinking and giving myself panic attacks? I really am worried. Please. :oops:
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Best Regards

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. The dentist should have informed you of any fractured left behind. A lot of time teeth can fracture during an extraction process. There are a lot of factors that influence this. And a lot of time, tooth pieces can be left behind, if it is proximity to anatomical important structures, to prevent damage. But again, the dentist should have informed you of this.
There is a chance that the root pieces might be removed in theater under GA. If this is the case, there should be any discomfort during the process. If your surgeon does not advise GA, discuss your fears with your surgeon. There are other pre-medications that can be prescribed in order to reduce your anxiety.

Vote:

Ask a Question