Opinions on my lower left Wisdom tooth.. extraction booked for Friday morning! :(

Hey guys and gals,

Just wanted some thoughts really on my lower left wisdom tooth, which is due for extraction on Friday.
To cut a long story short, I'm 26 - hadn't been to the dentist for about 12 years to him retiring, and my own stupidity in not getting a new dentist. Had known I needed to go and get my teeth sorted for around 8 years.. yet I procrastinated.
Didn't finally go until September last year for my initial appointment/checkup. Needed 2 extractions and 7 fillings. (Prior to this, had only 1 filling from many years ago). Over the last few months, I've been a couple of times and had everything done except the final extraction (lower left wisdom tooth). I've been putting it off because I'm terrified.

I can't put it off any longer, the appointment is the coming Friday...

Pictures aren't majorly clear, but the inner side of the tooth, which can't really be seen is actually slightly below the gum-line. I'm slightly worried that the dentist won't be able to grip the tooth. I had a lower molar pulled about 3 months ago (not a wisdom tooth), took around 6 weeks to heal, I'm guessing this will take longer - will I need stitches?

Does this look like it will be a trouble-free extraction? Plan is for it do be done only under Local Anesthetic.

Couple of pictures below. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Thank you.

Well didn't go to plan, although the Dentist is excellent my tooth isn't numbing or budging very far..

Dentist couldn't remove the tooth. Had absolutely loads (at least 12 shots) of anaesthetic, tooth wouldn't numb. Shooting pain throughout my jaw as soon as she started to rock it side to side.
Tried for a good 30 minutes. Practically no movement in the back roots apparantely and the tooth is infected.

I've got to see an Oral Surgeon, in March unless I go to hospital (which I'm not), to have it removed.
Apparently they will cut down the side of the gum around the tooth and possibly end up removing some bone.. sounds fun.

I've been given some antibiotics to clear up the infection.. Metronidazole 200mg & Amoxicillin 250mg (5 day course). Not entirely clear whether I take them now, or wait until March, so I've just finished the course before I see the Surgeon. Will probably speak to the dentist later to clarify.

Also, now because my tooth is loose, it feels higher when I close my mouth (so it now actually touches the top tooth). Whilst I'm still numb, I'm hoping that it will settle down, as any pressure on the tooth causes immense pain else I won't be able to bite.
Numbness wore off about 1:30PM, first shots were around 11AM. Can't close my mouth properly and jaw is pretty sore, but it's manageable.
Above all, I'm just really annoyed with myself. I've not been able to use this Wisdom tooth for atleast the last 10 years. Why didn't' I get it sorted?
The other lower wisdom tooth ended up having a very large filling - no problem, I can use it now. If I'd have gone sooner, that would have been a small filling, then the left one that was attempted to be removed today could have been saved.

I knew I needed to go, but kept putting it off.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh?!

Vote:

Ask a Question