Opinions on Implant Pain?

Hello All!
I'm posting this here for my mother. Here's the story, and hopefully we can get some answers.

A few weeks ago we went to Mexico for some dental work. I had some cavities worked on, and my mother needed a few crowns and found out she needed an implant. She went back a week later and had the work done.
She started feeling immense pain shortly after. She was given an antibiotic and a pain killer - which relived her pain somewhat, but not by much. Several days later, the pain was unbearable and it looked really red and almost "infected" looking. She called the dentist and went back down for them to take a look. They said the implant may have been initially too big, and that it would probably be best at the moment to just take out the tooth (leaving the screw inside) and let it heal. She came home, and a week after she was still feeling pain. She contacted an oral surgeon in America and had him take a look. He said he didn't see anything particularly wrong with the way it was done, just that it may have trapped some bacteria down inside and there was a 50/50 chance that it could recover from more antibiotics. He sent her home. The next day she was in tears and set up an appointment with the same doctor to just have him remove everything from the implant site. They did so.

She is on day 4 of having it out, and she is still feeling incredible amounts of pain. She is still on pain medication and the antibiotic and she is sick of being on pills and feeling "loopy" all the time. I took a picture of the tooth site, and am wondering if anyone can give any insight as to what the cause of the pain may be??

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20160516_192319_resized.jpg
    20160516_192319_resized.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 371
Hi @Catriona May I ask how many implants does your mother have? If it's a single dental implant the pain will not last more than 2 to 3 days. If she had several implants and also had dental bone grafting the pain may last for weeks. In your mothers case probably it is infected, it can be an infection of the soft gum around the top of the implant, or a deeper infection in the bone surrounding the implant. So better again ask your dentist about this they should know what causes the pain and what needs to be done. Good luck!

Vote:
They may have hit a nerve? My pain still comes back over 10 years later due to repeat infections and my body fighting it off. I get a feeling if my immune system goes under this implant will be the end of me.

Oh, the most skilled practitioners do a conical CT scan before placement, that way they reduce the probability of issues with inappropriate screw size and hitting a nerve.

Really sorry to hear her story. I hope she tells everyone she knows not to do what she did.

Some people (<4%) due get allergic reactions to titanium. I've seen academics recommending a titanium allergy test be mandatory before such invasive placement.

Her molars should scoot forward to fill that space. Sorry again to hear of such pain.

Vote:
I am sorry for your mum. I can't help much, my dad had some dental work done in Hungary. But he has been very happy and didn't complain much at all about pain

Vote:
Dental Implant placement causes very little discomfort compared to other surgical procedures. If bone grafts or tissue grafts are performed along with the implants there may be slightly more discomfort, but still only minor. The pain is easily controlled with over the counter analgesics such as ibuprofen, but for the first day a narcotic may be needed.

Vote:

Ask a Question