Opening up the bite

Discussion in 'Orthodontics' started by snaggletooth, Mar 1, 2019.

1. snaggletooth

snaggletooth

My lower front teeth dig into the backs of my upper front teeth and are wearing them away. Two dentists told me I needed crowns to open up my bite, then two orthodontists told me braces would do the job. I won't get crowns because they do too much damage and ultimately fail, but I don't understand how braces will correct the situation. Please explain.

snaggletooth, Mar 1, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. snaggletooth

Busybee

Any work you have done to try to fix this problem could create far worse problems. Your best bet is a nightguard and consciously avoiding grinding. It's not simple and I think you can see that given the radical suggestions for treatment which you have had to date, that it could cost a lot with no guarantee that any of their ideas will work. The suggestions will result in permanent changes which could affect your ability to talk, smile, eat and your appearance. Think carefully about whether the current problem is so bad that you want to take such a risk.

Busybee, Mar 2, 2019
    1. Advertisements

3. snaggletooth

snaggletooth

Thanks. I appreciate the warning. I'll ask the orthodontist to consider what I think might work, and hope that he can explain, to my satisfaction, why it will or won't work. If he can't explain, I'll keep looking for a dentist who can.

I use a nightguard and I don't grind when I'm awake, but the backs of my upper teeth are damaged and need to be repaired. It seems to me if the bottom teeth can be moved back, so as not to dig into the backs of the upper teeth, that should work. What say you?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    snaggletooth, Mar 3, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question